Other types of Japanese noodles
  Re: (...)
Well, I haven't even had a chance to try making the La Mian/Ramen, yet, but I saw something ELSE interesting, today.

When I stopped into that good meat market, here, to see if they had gotten anything new, I discovered two items I'd never expected to see here: Soba and Udon noodles.

Although I've EATEN Soba noodles before and have HEARD of Udon noodles, I've never USED either of them, so if any of you have any recipe suggestions for using them, please let me know.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by labradors (Well, I haven't even...)
Wow, this one got hidden in my Master Cook - in fact, I had save it twice over the years. It's a recipe from Grace Parisi from Food & Wine (a food editor who's food I always like), but I've not made it. It is copied and on 'the stack' now, tho.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shoyu Ramen

BROTH:
4 pounds chicken necks and backs
One 3-pound rack of pork baby back ribs -- cut into 4 sections
1 large leek -- halved lengthwise
2 ounces fresh ginger -- thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
4 garlic cloves
4 quarts water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shoyu or other soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
One 3 1/2-pound boneless pork shoulder butt -- trimmed and tied
Salt
One 12-by-2-inch piece of kombu (seaweed)
-----
RAMEN:
Shoyu or other soy sauce -- for seasoning and brushing
24 ounces fresh or 16 ounces dried chuka soba (curly noodles) -- boiled until al dente
5 ounces baby spinach -- steamed
4 large soft-boiled eggs -- peeled and soaked for 1 hour in equal parts soy sauce and mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 thinly sliced scallions -- 2 sheets of quartered nori (dried seaweed), rice vinegar and togarashi (Japanese chile powder), for garnishing and seasoning

Make the Broth: In a large stockpot, combine the chicken, ribs, leek, ginger, garlic, water and shoyu. Bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil.

Season the pork butt with salt and brown it well on all sides over high heat, 12 minutes; transfer to the stockpot. Simmer the broth over moderately low heat for 2 hours, until the pork butt and ribs are just tender; skim any scum that rises to the surface.

Transfer the pork butt and ribs to a platter and refrigerate. Strain the broth and discard the remaining solids.

Return the broth to the pot. Add the kombu and simmer over moderately low heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Let cool, then chill and refrigerate the broth overnight.

The Next Day, Prepare the Ramen: Preheat the broiler. Skim the fat off of the broth and discard the kombu. Bring the broth to a simmer. Season with shoyu and keep hot.

Untie the pork butt and slice it across the grain 1/3 inch thick. Cut the ribs between the bones. Arrange the pork slices and ribs on a large baking sheet and brush with shoyu. Broil 8 inches from the heat for 3 minutes, turning once, until the meat is crisp; keep warm.

Divide the cooked noodles among 8 bowls and ladle 1 1/2 cups of broth into each one. Add the spinach in piles. Drain the eggs, cut each one in half lengthwise and set a half in each bowl.

Arrange 2 slices of pork butt and 1 rib in each bowl and garnish with the scallions and nori. Serve the ramen immediately, passing the rice vinegar and togarashi at the table.

Make Ahead

The broth can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months; discard the kombu after 1 day.

Notes

Variations Stir 1/2 teaspoon white miso, 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry paste or 2 teaspoons coarsely ground toasted sesame seeds into each serving of broth before adding the toppings.

Description:
"After visiting New York City's top ramen spots (including Ippudo NY, Sapporo and Momofuku Noodle Bar), Grace Parisi created her dream ramen with a pork-and-chicken-based broth that gets extra depth of flavor from kombu (seaweed) and shoyu (Japanese soy
sauce"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shoyu-ramen"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's an idea for the Udon- have not made it either, but it's from C@H eRecipes.

http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2009/05/14...-kung-pao/

I have some other ideas, but looks like I haven't tried them yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by cjs (Wow, this one got hi...)
Labs, if you go to my blog I posted a "loose" (read: unmeasured) recipe the other day for a cold soba noodle salad that is so good...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by cjs (Wow, this one got hi...)
That DOES sound good. This place may even have the kombu, now, though I'm not sure. The do have sushi nori, and I think I saw another seaweed there. I believe it was another type of nori, but I'll have to check.

Edit: Vicci, your "salad" sounded interesting, too, but I'd probably make it as a hot dish instead of a cold salad. Also, no cucumbers for me.

Thanks.
  Re: Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by labradors (That DOES sound good...)
Labs, here's one that I make often in cooler weather. I didn't even think about it since I've been trying not to use the stove as much as possible for a while...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Soba Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables

Servings : 2

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons water -- (if you have any on hand, chicken or vegetable broth would be better)
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 large garlic clove -- crushed
3/4 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
6 ounces soba noodles
6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast -- sliced into thin strips
3 ounces carrots -- julienned, about 1 cup
4 ounces broccoli florets -- about 2 cups
4 ounces red bell pepper -- cut into 1/4" wide strips, about 1 cup
2 large green onions -- sliced; save green tops to garnish
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts

Place a pot of water on to boil for cooking the noodles. Combine the hoisin sauce through the Sriracha sauce in a small cup and set aside.

Prepare vegetables and chicken and set aside.

In a nonstick wok over medium-high heat, drizzle one teaspoon of the canola oil. Add the chicken and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, or until the chicken is opaque and no pink remains. Remove, with a slotted spoon, to a bowl and set aside.

At this point, add the soba noodles to the boiling water. Since they can overcook so easily, set a timer for a minute or two less than the time indicated on the package instructions.

Heat the remaining oil in the wok (still over medium-high heat) and add the carrots and broccoli. Stir fry for 2 minutes and add the red bell pepper and stir fry for another minute. Add the green onions (except for the green tops) and stir fry for one additional minute. Add the chicken, with the accumulated juices in the bowl, and the sauce. Stir. Drain the noodles, shake the colander to get rid of excess water, and fold the soba noodles into the chicken and vegetable mixture.

Divide between 2 plates, sprinkle with reserved green onion and chopped peanuts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 545 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 90g Carbohydrate; 49mg Cholesterol; 1698mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by foodfiend (Labs, here's one tha...)
Ooh! Now THAT one looks particularly my speed, Vicci, and I won't need to substitute or leave out any of the ingredients. PUtting that one at the top of the list for some time later this coming week.
  Re: Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by labradors (Ooh! Now THAT one l...)
Vicci, thanks for the recipe. Made it tonight, and it was great. For my taste (and also since I can't get low-sodium soy sauce here), I would use a little less soy sauce and a little more Sriracha.
  Re: Re: Other types of Japanese noodles by labradors (Vicci, thanks for th...)
Thanks Vicci! Another great sounding recipe!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."