Washington Cherries
  Re: (...)
Okay, I needed some cherries for my glaze tonight, and miraculously, my little local grocer had these cherries on sale for 99 cents a pound. They are tender, dark, sweet cherries and stained my fingernails like nobody's business...LOL! Are these the infamous Bing cherries or are they different? Also, I have about a cup left and lots more at the store...suggestions? We really like the flavor, and if I had a pitter, I'd be tempted to buy all they've got and freeze them. Hmmm? I'm going to the city tomorrow to see Theresa, Wally and Monica. I think a visit to Bed Bath and Beyond may be in order.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Washington Cherries by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I needed some ...)
Oh Daphne, you could have so much fun with some cherries - gonna suffer in the heat, but boy will you be happy this winter.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry Salsa with Balsamic Vinegar and Basil

2 cups sweet cherries -- pitted and roughly chopped
1 jalapeño -- stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
1 shallot -- finely chopped
1/4 cup basil leaves -- chopped
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl then cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

Description:
"Cherry salsa makes a sweet and spicy condiment for salmon, chicken or pork. For a milder salsa, remove all of the ribs and seeds from the jalapeño."
-----

Grilled Pizza with Duck Breast, Black Cherries and Fontina Cheese

-----
this is really goood, too -

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHERRY CHUTNEY
Moselle, C2C

I made the cherry chutney with the advised changes and it is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
Here is what I did;

2 pounds cherries pitted (Billy, I feel your pain with all those cherries you just picked. I have a little $2 thing that pitted one cherry at a time )
1 cup really good red wine vinegar with a big splash of balsamic vinegar added
1 1/2 cups pure cane sugar
1 tsp Indian ground chili powder
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp fresh grated ginger
One crushed garlic clove
Simmer everything for about an hour

The color is gorgeous.
The smell, and first taste is a bit reminiscent of the nose and tasting of a complex red wine; you smell the fruit and the acid. Then you sense a little bit of a "spice'. When you taste it, the flavors flow (there is a bit of heat that is nice) and one by one you can identify them.

My first thought was how good this would be with smoked turkey, or a roasted pork (with some of the crunchy stuff on the outside from the roast!) ….this is goooooood!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
have fun - Bings rule!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by cjs (Oh Daphne, you could...)
This started out to be a sauce for grilled pork, but folks on the dock our houseboat was on kept stopping by and dipping tortilla chips in it until it was gone.

My Delta "Mango Cherry Habanero Salsa"
2 lbs bing cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
2 mangoes, peeled and diced
1/2 lrg red onion, diced
3 scallions, white and green, sliced
1 med red bell pepper, diced
1 med yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 (or more, to taste) jalapenos, diced
fresh chopped cilantro to taste
3 limes, juiced and zested
6 Tbs. Raspberry vinegar
3 tsp. honey or agave syrup
***3/4 tsp. mango/habanero sauce (this is totally to taste)

Combine ingredients and let sit to marry flavors about 30 minutes.

***Almost any bottled mango/habanero sauce you like works. If that's too much heat some jalapeno tobasco sauce will work. I wouldn't use chipotle in this.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by cjs (Oh Daphne, you could...)
Oh, goodness! Thanks! The chutney sounds good enough, I think I'll double that one right off.

About the duck pizza...you're gonna laugh, but that's okay. So did I. When we were at the Asian Market last trip, I coaxed William around, pointing out various interesting ingredients. When we neared the end of the tour of frozen stuff, William excitedly pointed out duck! YEA! That's what I'm talking about! We picked out a big one and started to the check out. Then William pointed out it was a WHOLE duck, head, feet and all! ROFLOL! I refused to clean it, and he laughed at me and put it back. I begged him to do it for me, just to not show it to me any more, but he refused. Butt head! On the way home, I got to thinking about Bird Flu, or whatever it was, and was thankful we didn't get it. I'll wait until I can get my hands on a nice US duck...all cleaned and ready to cook.

Edited to add: Sharon, we were posting at the same time. That one sounds good also. We love mango. Would this freeze, also? Another thing, what could I sub for raspberry vinegar?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, goodness! Thank...)
I haven't had to try to freeze it - there's never any left.

As for the raspberry vinegar - perhaps some white wine vinegar infused with some raspberries. Maybe cider vinegar with the raspberries. Maybe Jean would have suggestions.

A long long time ago I scored a 20lb box of cherries for 5 bucks. I think about 2 lbs were too far gone to use - but I canned cherries and made pitted cherries for cherry jam for days. My favorite thing at my Grandmother's house was her home canned cherries in a med. syrup. Then she'd take the left over syrup and make tapioca.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by Harborwitch (I haven't had to try...)
And then there's Gina's Fairy Cake. I get paid in a few days. If I get that pitter tomorrow, I think I'll put some in some Cointreau, or better yet, Grand Marnier (my FAVORITE after Kahlua, of course). I actually picked up the Rice Flour at the Asian Market the other day and have everything else!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by Gourmet_Mom (And then there's Gin...)
err...French Cherry Claufotis?

People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by Gina_Choong (err...French Cherry ...)
Great idea, Gina! I hadn't thought of that! I've wanted to try a Claufotis ever since I started reading Julie Powell's blog when she did Julia Child's recipe! Just recently, Nigella made one on her show.

Decisions, decisions! I better find a cherry pitter tomorrow, or I'm going to be pathetic!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by Gourmet_Mom (Great idea, Gina! I...)
Daphne. Those sound like bing cherries! YUMMY. Please post on the chicken with the chipotle cherry sauce. (was that what it was?) I have been eyeing that one. Just don't think the kids would go for it. Might have to be a dinner for one!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Washington Cherries by esgunn (Daphne. Those sound...)
Just for eating out of hand, the best Washington cherry is a Ranier--very seasonal, but delicious!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".