Things I need for my kitchen...
  Re: (...)
The kids are gone and I have had some time to assess some of my immediate kitchen needs. It started with me noticing the wear on my floors where I have my kitchen stools at the counter. The chairs seem to need something underneath to keep the floors nice so I am ordering a custom sized mat for underneath. I turned to my trusty www.centralrestaurant.com catalog and found a marble top mat (in walnut) I can order in 3'x7' to fit my space.

Then I realized my measureing cups (glass ones) have worn the numbers off. And my kitchen timer is kaput! I want a Triple timer to time 3 things at once.

Hey, anyone here ever use those infrared thermometers? How do those work?

Also looking into their Tuscany Melamine Dinnerware...

Gosh I drool over their catalog when it comes.

Things I like from them:

-scoops
-condiment bottles
-sheet pans
-tongs

Does anyone here order from them? What do you all NEED for your kitchen?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by luvnit (The kids are gone an...)
Oh, Laura...you've opened up a can of worms here! I can't look! I'll want it all!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Laura...you've o...)
I know, I know, it is hard to decide. I want it all too! Wouldn't it be fun!

Other than the mat I have a small budget to get a 'few' necessary items. (No, not my hubby's budget, my own self-imposed budget.)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by luvnit (I know, I know, it i...)
I don't dare look. It's looking like we're going to be liquidating stuff, the situation here on the farm has gone to h#ll. We'll find a storage unit for our stuff - the stuff we cannot get rid of, have a big sell off, load up the mobile and a trailer and we're outta here.

I think it's for the best. Onward!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Tri-stone sharpener and extra oil (or this and this).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Oh dear...I had to close it! That was almost as bad as my visit to the restaurant supply store I went by last week. I was looking for a wok. They didn't have what I wanted, so I daringly walked around the store. I held my hands together the whole time to keep from picking anything up....PURE TORTURE!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by luvnit (The kids are gone an...)
I have an infared thermometer--I use it to read temp in my pizza oven--it measures up to 1000f--I like my pizza oven floor to be at at least 700f--works beautifully--it uses a laser beam--engineers use the same model to check engine temps, etc, love it--lots of fun at a party--you can check everything--just don't point it at anybody or hold it in one place too long. Keep away from kids--never point it at someone's eyes!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by Old Bay (I have an infared th...)
Thought about one of those thermometers when I saw one in an air-conditioning-supply store here, but although there would be good for oven (or air-conditioning) temperatures, they only work on the surface for food, so they could measure the temperature of soup or candy after stirring, but not the internal temperatures of meats, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by labradors (Thought about one of...)
Quote:

Thought about one of those thermometers when I saw one in an air-conditioning-supply store here, but although there would be good for oven (or air-conditioning) temperatures, they only work on the surface for food, so they could measure the temperature of soup or candy after stirring, but not the internal temperatures of meats, etc.

That is correct. But if you measure the surface temp of a liquid (oil or water for instance) after stirring, its pretty usefull because the temp is pretty consistant throughout. Everything has its uses and its limitations. I use mine a lot.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Things I need for my kitchen... by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Mister uses an infared thermometer for the smoker, the char broil and the grill and whatever else he uses to cook with - I don't think he could do without it - and thanks, Old Bay, for reminding folks of the safety warnings.

I can't think of anything in particular right now that we need (other than some prep space) in our kitchen - but I am sure with that restaurant site, we will find something!! I would rather buy kitchen/cooking gadgets than clothes. I would love to have one of those wine racks that Jean has!

One thing we are buying - I think Mister ordered it today - but not for the kitchen - a new grill. We have a Grand Hall that we got at Sam's in 2001 and it still works great but Mister really likes one that he found on some of the smoking forums that he is on. I will hate to part with the old one - it took us about six hours to put it together - the hood was the only part that was "whole".