Cooking with teens
  Re: (...)
Hi All. I thought I would come to this site to find some ideas for my mother in law. She will be having my nephew over for a week and he is very interested in learning how to cook. And has shown some promise. Fish tacos with homemade tartar sauce for one thing. Anyway, do you have any suggestions? The family is a little on the heavy side, so focusing on healthy eating. Two teenage boys, mom and step dad. Here is the email my MIL sent me for suggestions:

I am gearing up for our first session of Cooking Class 101. Danny will be coming the week of July 26th.

It needs to be more than how to make ants on a log (celery with pimiento cheese and raisins on top), or cinnamon toast (toast with butter and cinnamon and sugar spread on it).

Sharon has ordered him a chef coat (CHEF DANNY) and black and white checkered trousers.

I need to come up with a general agenda and recipes that would appeal to a12 year old (or is it 13?).

Here's the outline I came up with:

(1) terminology - chop, slice, cube, julienne, mash, whip, stir, fold, reduce, plate

(2) measuring to recipe - liquid vs. dry

(3) safety - fire, knives, germs, garbage cleanup management

(4) planning - timing, menu

(5) shopping - local in season, storage (organize kitchen)

(6) serving - timing, plating

(7) Recipes - what should we make?

(8) Tools - implements, NEED or WANT

Well this is a big bag of information and I need to wheedle it down to a few essentials to begin with. Maybe the first thing would be to come up with a couple of recipes that we want to be able to create (keeping in mind Sharon's dietary restrictions and Tim's diabetic needs) and something Danny can do at home to contribute to the family lifestyle).

Your thoughts?
T
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Cooking with teens by esgunn (Hi All. I thought I...)
Portion control - What is a portion of meat. What the ratio of meat, to carbs to veggies should be.

Start with their typical recipe. Prepare it and see how it looks. Then do it right and show them the 2 plates side by side. Then get into the details of how to shop for the ingredients, proper way to prepare it and why.

That's my 2 cents
  Re: Re: Cooking with teens by DFen911 (Portion control - Wh...)
I agree with Denise, portion control would be number 1 on my list.

As for recipes, how about substitutions that would include more fruits and vegetables. One that comes to mind is taco salad instead of just tacos. Or a big vegetable omelet or fritatta, instead of fried eggs. How about a fresh fruit plate with all the fruit cut up and ready to eat?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cooking with teens by Mare749 (I agree with Denise,...)
What a great grandma she is!!!

It's nice to know substitutes for ingredients you might not have on hand.

Also, I would invest in a kitchen scale to get the boys started of from the first weighing ingredients - I thik this is just about the most important skill/method for them to have.

Here's one that I used to make for my kids and then they ended up making them themselves.

* Exported from MasterCook *

MEXIMUFFINS

1 small can Ortega Chilies, chopped
1 small can chopped olives, drain if needed
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4 cup oil (any kind)
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 can mushrooms -- (8 oz.) stems & pieces, drain
2 pkgs. English Muffins -- split open

Combine the chiles, olives, tomato sauce, oil, cheese and mushrooms in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.

Split the muffins and lay cut side up on a large baking sheet. Divide the cheese and mushroom mixture between the muffins halves.

Heat the broiler and place the muffins in the oven and broil until bubbly and hot.

NOTE: If you want to make just a few topped muffins, you can also use the remaining cheese & mushroom topping to combine with hot cooked pasta for a dinner dish.
-----
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com