Pasta Attachment
  Re: (...)
Hi,

I just got my new pasta attachment for my mixer. Do any of you have any experience with making pasta?
Any recipes for pasta anybody wants to share?

Thanks
  Re: Pasta Attachment by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]I just go...)
I also got the KA pasta rolling attachment. We love it. My young daughter has become the pasta maker in the house. She used the recipies that come with the roller and also some from other pasta books. They all seem to be about the same, except if you start trying the flavored ones. We haven't done that yet.
What brand is your mixer, and is the pasta attachment a roller or extruder type?

I have the roller attachment for my kitchenaid and use it all the time. The recipe I use was in the instruction booklet that came with it. I also have an extruder attachment to my old Oster Kitchen Center, but I never had good luck with that.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Hi, the only thing I've ever done is add pureed spinach to my dough. It wasn't perfect, but it worked for me. I started with the basic mix in the book that came with my attachment, but I can't find it, so I now use the recipe in Marcella Hazan's book, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. I was perfectly happy with the recipe in the book, though. So if you get a chance, I'd love for you to post it. It was a softer, more manageable dough. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the kind of flour she uses.

Also, Gina, our newest member gave me some recipes for flavored dough. I haven't gotten a chance to try them since I got my pasta attachment. I'll let her post her recipes, though. She may even have some new ideas!

Another tip I've heard, but not tried, is adding baby food to your mixer when you're making up your dough.

I haven't played with my pasta in a while. I think I'll make that my August project. William has complained that it's been such a long time since I've done it. It is SO much better than store bought. Another tip, if making lasagna, I don't even cut my sheets. I lay the raw dough out over my layers, slightly overlapping. GREAT STUFF! Have fun!
  Re: Re: Pasta Attachment by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, the only thing I...)
I have a big 7qt cuisinart mixer. so the attachment i think is the same type that the meat grinder is. Not sure though. I looked in the booklet and it was kind of weird...the only basic recipe they had was for egg pasta and the rest were all flavored. I guess I will try that today.
  Re: Re: Pasta Attachment by piano226 (I have a big 7qt cui...)
POOH! I just assumed you have the KA. That's the one I have. If somebody on here that still has their book, please post the recipe from the book? It's the first one, I think. The one with eggs and a small amount of water and olive oil (optional), I think?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pasta Attachment by Gourmet_Mom (POOH! I just assume...)
Crap, I so want that attachment, the pasta roller I have hooks onto the counter and is not really user friendly...birthday's past, mother's day is past, fathers' day past.....piddle.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pasta Attachment by cjs (Crap, I so want that...)
Oh, Jean...it is so fast and easy. I've decided not to wait for August. I'm going to be sure I've got a couple of pasta recipes on the list next week. It's really not that bad! MY big problem is storing it so that it doesn't stick together. And hanging it to dry right now is out of the question. I've got every door and window open in that part of the house. I don't want to eat bugs!

Gina managed to make nests and store hers in bags in the refrigerator. I tried, but mine stuck together. Maybe she, or somebody can help me with this? I'd love to be able to make it ahead, like in the morning this summer or the night before during school days, and store in the fridge.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pasta Attachment by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Jean...it is so ...)
Hi Daphne...Is this the one? I've used it often but it has no olive oil. From KA

Basic Egg Noodle Pasta

4 large eggs (7/8 cup eggs)
1 Tablespoon water
3 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour

Place eggs, water and flour in bowl of electric stand mixer. Turn mixer to low and mix 30 seconds. Attach dough hook. Turn to low and knead 2 minutes.

Hand knead dough 30 seconds to 1 minute. Cover with a dry towel and let rest 15 minutes before extruding through pasta maker.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Pasta Attachment by Dismc (Hi Daphne...Is this ...)
YES! Thanks, Shannon! I can't remember for sure, but I think Marcella Hazan talks about the "moisture content" in 00 flour in Europe versus our all purpose flour. I'm guessing that's why her recipe is dry for me. She says to use 1 egg for every cup of flour...that's all. And I don't know where the olive oil came from...LOL!

Thanks again. I'll be glad to get back to making this recipe, as it is much smoother and foolproof.
Daphne