Honeyed BBQ Pork
  Re: (...)
For my good good friend, Gourmet_Mom aka Daphne..

During Chinese new year here in Singapore, everyone makes a bee line queue at many such shops that sells these BBQ pork. It costs S$40/US$28.00 per kilogram. This year, I ordered a carton(about 5kg) from the frozen meat supplier and decided to make my own to serve family and friends.

It proved to be a hit with everyone.

The local name of this snack is called Bak Kwa which means Dried Pork or Preserved Pork.

[Image: HoneyBakKwa.jpg]

Honeyed Bak Kwa/BBQ Pork
Recipe by Gina Choong

Ingredients
1 kg streaky bacon
5 tbsp Thai Fish sauce
1.5 tbsp 5 spiced powder
150g honey
100g Golden syrup

Method
1. Remove chilled bacon from packing, wash under tap water to remove any liquid(usually from packaging)
2. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Line it on a large plastic container and pour fish sauce and 5 spiced powder over it.
4. Mix honey and golden syrup together.
5. Pour over the bacon.
6. Cover the container and leave it in the chiller(fridge) to marinate for at least 2 days.
7. Roast in preheated oven 220C for 10 to 15 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Brush the pork with remaining marinate sauce.
8. Drain excess oil by placing the BBQ pork on greaseproof paper.
9. Store in containers lined with waxed paper or greaseproof paper.

Notes
Make sure you cool it before storing.
Can keep for 2 weeks or more.
  Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Gina_Choong (For my good good fri...)
Oh, Gina, this sounds AMAZING! I believe I will be making this over the weekend! BTW, I have Fish Sauce I got from the Asian store. Is there a difference in regular and Thai? If that will do, I have everything to make this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Gina, this sound...)
Daphne

its the same. Sometimes they just labelled it Thai Fish sauce..making it sound really authentic.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Gina_Choong (Daphne[br][br]its th...)
I know these are probably doh! questions, but there is pork referenced in the above recipe, but only bacon listed in the ingredients. So does one pour the marinate over the bacon, then put on grease paper? Is the marinate what is left on the bottom of the pan after roasting the bacon? Sorry for being so dim, but I think we would love this and would like to get it right the first time. Thanks.
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Cubangirl (I know these are pro...)
the snack was traditionally made with minced pork, marinated with the ingredients, spread out thinly on a large tray and left out to dry for 24 hours. Then its cut into squares, BBQ over high heat till it burns and cooks.

My method is made for home consumption..minus the conventional or commercial large scale factory production way.

So that is why its called Bak Kwa or Dried Pork.

As to the marinate..after roasting/BBQ it, its discarded. The marinate is the honey, golden syrup etc that was use to soak the meats for 2 days.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Gina_Choong (the snack was tradit...)
this looks amazing - want to make this soon. thanks for the recipe

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Gina_Choong (the snack was tradit...)
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I always thought it was a no-no to put marinade that has been used with raw meat and not cooked over cooked meat. Am I missing something here?
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Cubangirl (Thank you so much fo...)
Gina, I think she's talking about here: "Brush the pork with remaining marinate sauce." I was assuming you meant the marinade was put in the oven with the pork and then brush what's on the bottom of the pan over the pork. But it could be interpreted that you reserve some of the marinade, so that it never touches the uncooked pork.

"As to the marinate..after roasting/BBQ it, its discarded." Now, after rereading this, I'm more convinced it's like I though originally. Kind of like glazing a ham for Christmas. You just baste it with the sauce that pools around the meat as it cooks and just before removing it.

Another thing, Gina. Do you slice it before you cook it or after? The cook time might imply slicing it before. After looking again at your picture, I'm thinking you BUY it sliced or slice it before it even goes in the marinade because the directions say: "Line it on a large plastic container".

So this would be more like making candied bacon strips, but without the smokey flavor. Although, I bet you could do it with bacon as well.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by Gourmet_Mom (Gina, I think she's ...)
I'm gonna have to online to find the "golden sauce". My 2 local grocery stores never have it, nor have heard of it. *sigh*
  Re: Re: Honeyed BBQ Pork by DFen911 (I'm gonna have to on...)
Denise, if they don't have it at my Asian store, I'm going to do as Cook's Thesaurus suggests and use 2 parts corn syrup and 1 part molasses.
Daphne