In the news...
  Re: (...)
tonight, on ABC, they visited a man in LA that raises soft shelled crab. I wanted to visit a place in Southport that used to do it a while back to share on here, but they either quit doing it or said it was not the right season....forgot which. Anyway, it's a fascinating process. If you're curious, tune in or log on. It's the last segment on the show.

And if you can ever get your hands on some, get double what you think you'll make. Do one batch fried and another batch in a kind of stew with dumplings...YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: In the news... by Gourmet_Mom (tonight, on ABC, the...)
I'm on it!! I'll get home and find out where he's at and Derek and I will go down and check it out it. I had a soft crab sandwich once that about made me gag. I didn't know they dont' clean them at all so when I bit into it all I got were innards.

Please tell me this isn't normal
  Re: Re: In the news... by DFen911 (I'm on it!! I'll get...)
EWWWWW! NO! I've never heard such. You clean the "dead man" out first! It should be incredibly crunchy and crabby. The place my mother-in-law got hers from were always cleaned, but It's no different from cleaning a regular crab. I wouldn't be eating at that place again....UGH!
Daphne
  Re: Re: In the news... by Gourmet_Mom (EWWWWW! NO! I've n...)
What show Daphne? I can't find anything on tonight.
  Re: Re: In the news... by DFen911 (What show Daphne? I ...)
It was the ABC Network News...regular news. They interviewed the man when they found him and learned his story as part of the Oil Spill coverage.
Daphne
  Re: Re: In the news... by Gourmet_Mom (It was the ABC Netwo...)
Bwhahahahaha!!!

Oh dear..ok so when you said LA I thought Los Angeles You didn't mention the oil spill or I would have known it was Louisana. LOL!
  Re: Re: In the news... by DFen911 (Bwhahahahaha!!![br][...)
Well heck, Denise, I'm sorry! BUT I'm pretty sure some of these places ***** soft shell crab. They are REALLY good! After your bad experience, I hope you get a chance to have a positive experience with soft shell crab.
Daphne
  Re: Re: In the news... by Gourmet_Mom (Well heck, Denise, I...)
Crap, I thought you meant Los Angeles also and really got excited!!!! I'd probably be run out of town if I ordered crab to be sent up here to Dungeness country!!!!

I'd give anything to taste the soft shell crabs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: In the news... by cjs (Crap, I thought you ...)
And I'd give anything to taste a freshly caught Dungeness crab!
Daphne
  Re: Re: In the news... by Gourmet_Mom (And I'd give anythin...)
I wanna go home!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!