Watermelon Question
  Re: (...)
We thought we were buyine two Japanese Eggplants, but one turned out to be a watermelon. It had no stick in it to tell us the variety. I've never grown them before. Does anyone know how to tell when one is ripe and ready to pick? Thanks~!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Watermelon Question by Lorraine (We thought we were b...)
It will have a distinct hollow sound when thumped and should twist easily off the vine. It's been a while, but that's what I remember.

Here's what the Farmer's Almanac says: "When the stem curls and turns brown and the place where the melon touches the ground turns yellow, it's ready. Rap it with your knuckles and listen for a dull, hollow sound."
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Watermelon Question by Gourmet_Mom (It will have a disti...)
Thanks, that tells me it's not quite ready. No yellow on the underside, and the stem's not brown. He's chomping at the bit to try it! He never grew anything until I moved here, and he's amazed at what one can grow. He's like a kid in a candy store with our plants.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Watermelon Question by Lorraine (Thanks, that tells m...)
I know how he feels, Lorraine. I don't have much luck growing anything because the deer come in and take over. But, I sure do get excited about the few things we are able to harvest. One of these years, we're going to use better fencing to surround the garden.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Watermelon Question by Mare749 (I know how he feels,...)
The best ones are the one with a big yellow bottom where they were laying on the ground. This means they were sweetened in the sun.