Pork Belly - A Use For
  Re: (...)
DAAAAAAAAAPHHHHHNNNEEEE - Check this one out for using pork belly...
[Image: Torta.jpg]

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/midnight-tortas

Gotta make this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by cjs ( [i]DAAAAAAAAAPHHHHH...)
Jean, that looks so good! William would really like this. I may just have to take a few slices off one of these babies to make this! I'm curious what the pork belly will taste like fried without that smoky bacon flavor.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, that looks so ...)
"what the pork belly will taste like" ...delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by cjs ("what the pork belly...)
You know...I'm an person! I just realized that I let William put our pear tree trimmings...a whole bunch of them out by the road to be hauled away instead of saving them for smoking!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by Gourmet_Mom (You know...I'm an id...)
I've got a question....what is the difference between streak o' lean and pork belly? Is it from a different part of the hog? Is it already cured? The more I look at this pork belly, the more confused I am. Is it maybe pork belly salt cured, but not smoked, which would become bacon?

We used to use a piece of streak o' lean to season butter beans..cut off a short slap, slice down to the rind, and drop it in water to boil, then add the butter beans. For field peas, boil the peas in salted water. Meanwhile, slice of some small pieces of streak o' lean from the rind and fry up in a cast iron skillet. When the peas are tender, remove meat from the skillet, (nice to snack on) and add the peas and liquid to the hot pan. Let it simmer until a good deal of the liquid has boiled out.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a question....)
Kind of sounds like they are the same part of the pig - have not worked with 'streak o' lean'
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by cjs (Kind of sounds like ...)
Since Lorraine and/or Gil may be familiar with this, it's hopeful they'll have an answer. The more I think about it, the more I think it's pork belly salt cured, but not smoked...maybe.

Okay, back to edit. I found my answer! Apparently, it comes from the back of the pig. It's similar to fat back, but has streaks of lean in it, thus the name. It IS salt cured.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by Gourmet_Mom (Since Lorraine and/o...)
Okay, I have a decision to make. After looking on-line, I have discovered I can get the pink salt for $2.99, but it will cost $7.50 to ***** it. On the other hand, I contacted a slaughter facility that has their own retail business. My mother LOVES their sausage. ANYWAY, it's about an hour drive from here. The girl I talked to said they could probably sell me a small amount for a reasonable price. They also have FRESH pork bellies there along with lots of other goodies to play with. She actually told me the Asian Market gets their stuff from them...LOL!

Now my question...drive all that way and be tempted by all the goodies or order it on-line? The cost for the drive will be a few dollars more than the shipping charges.

In case anyone's interested, here's the website/list of products that will be there to tempt me. Oh, and I'll probably go on and hit them up for the #2 cure for the sausage there, also. Sounds like I'm talking myself into this, doesn't it. Well's Pork and Beef
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I have a decis...)
Well, I say make the trip, because not only will you meet some nice people, but they will probably give you more advice than you can obtain from reading about it. But, be prepared to buy a bunch of other stuff as well.

BTW, whatever you decide, please be sure to bring some samples along when we meet up in September.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Belly - A Use For by Mare749 (Well, I say make the...)
I'm with Maryann, make the trip and make a new contact!! You'll never know when they will come in handy!
www.achefsjourney.com