Rum Question
  Re: (...)
I posted this in Vicci's "What do I make to drink" thread and decided it might need to have it's own thread.

"Slightly off topic, but it IS related to rum...LOL! I have a Sweet and Sticky BBQ sauce for an "involved" Beer Can Chicken recipe ("involved" being the reason I've been putting it off). It has a rub, a mop, and THEN a sauce. The sauce calls for dark rum. I stopped at the ABC store today to get the dark rum. There was only one dark rum...Meyer's, I think? Then they had a much cheaper, smaller (only need a 1/4 cup) bottle of Bacardi Gold. I got that...did I make a mistake?"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Rum Question by Gourmet_Mom (I posted this in Vic...)
the only difference I can tell in rums is between the regular and that black-strap-molasses stuff Billy liked. I only bought it when he was going to be around.

You're fine with what you have, is my opinion.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rum Question by cjs (the only difference ...)
Thanks, Jean. I think I'll go with it...couldn't hurt. Check out the ingredients in this stuff!

There's the rub:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup dry mustard
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seafood seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Then the sauce:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup dark rum
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups water
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons hot sauce

While it's grilling, you spritz it with an apple juice "mop". Then you remove the chicken from the can, split it, then put it back on the grill and glaze! Like I said a lot of stuff going on with this one....but it sure sounds good. I hope the sauce is good. You only use a 1/4 cup of it, so I'll have a bunch left for some ribs or something.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Rum Question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean. I thi...)
Wow, that really is a lot going on? When are you making this one? Copied and saved!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Quote:

... Bear Can Chicken...

Must be pretty funky-tasting chicken.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Rum Question by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Goodness! Fixed! Thanks, Labs!

Maryann, I'll probably fix this either Thursday or Saturday. I'll report in the Dinner thread on the night I make it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Rum Question by Gourmet_Mom (Goodness! Fixed! T...)
Daphne, the gold rum will be fine, although dark rum has a deeper, decidedly caramel-y flavor that lends itself nicely to cooking. It is expensive, though, and I've subbed for it many times (although I often make a Jamaican Banana Bread which I feel is so much better with dark rum rather than gold or white, so I always use dark rum in it).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Rum Question by foodfiend (Daphne, the gold rum...)
Thanks, Vicci. I'm thinking that in this, the gold will work. I'm sure the dark would add a little more to the party, but I don't think it would be enough to offset the expense. Especially, when I have no other use for it.
Daphne
The brewing processes are different and there is a difference in the product. I can only prove it to you if you try both--side by side. I think Meyers is better in a mixed drink or in cooking, than by itself. So do it and be fair.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Rum Question by Old Bay (The brewing processe...)
Meyers with a bit of banana liquer and some seltzer over ice... oh my!

FYI:

Light rum (also called silver or white) is fermented in steel and filtered and has a clear color and a light, slightly sweet taste. Gold or amber rums are aged in oak, which produces a more caramel color and richer, more pronounced flavor. Rich, caramel dark rum is made by aging clear rum in charred oak casks, giving it a deep brown color and a full flavor.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com