The Birthday Dinner
  Re: (...)
Well, a mere week ago tonight...

I have to say that this menu was terrific. Everything "went together" so well, and the food was to die for! It was a heck of a couple of hours late Friday afternoon, but I was able to get the hot foods up to the building hot, and the cold stuff stayed cold on a hot July day. I forgot the basil leaves to garnish the pasta and used chopped parsley, then realized that it was to be used for the braciole. Horrors-- a garnish error!

The photos are on the link below.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welco...Ro4cuGLFVA

I really don't know how to describe the non-food part of the evening other than to say I will never, ever cook for certain inlaws again. It has taken me a week to get a grip, and to be able to work on the photos without wanting to scream. But on the positive side- DH finally agrees that the majority of his family is wacky and it will be a cold day in he** before they are even welcome into our home again. Wa-hoo! Family Fun at its Best!!! Really, though, this has been brewing for a while. I would have preferred, though, that it happened on another day!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: The Birthday Dinner by foodfiend (Well, a mere week ag...)
Oh, Vicci, it's all so lovely! The food looks terrific, as well as the setting! You did a GREAT job. If no one there appreciated your efforts, know that your friends here acknowledge the work that went into this event.

" But on the positive side- DH finally agrees that the majority of his family is wacky and it will be a cold day in he** before they are even welcome into our home again. Wa-hoo! Family Fun at its Best!!!" Definitely a positive note!

But do tell, how did the honoree feel about the food and festivities? Did SHE, at least, appreciate what you had done?

And how did the two picky teens enjoy the meal? I'm guessing they ate stuff their mother wouldn't have guessed they'd eat and enjoyed their meal. AND she'd never admit it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Vicci, it's all ...)
Thanks, Daphne.

Well, the birthday "girl" was a bit overwhelmed but she enjoyed it. The picky "kids", esp the nephew, ate way more than I would have ever hoped for, so that was good too. And DH told everyone at my family's reunion a couple of days later that I made "the most awesome birthday dinner ever" for his mother.

While we were bringing in the food and setting up, the server who was filling our water and tea pitchers told me that their chef wanted to know if I "do this as a profession". So many people (both staff and residents) gave me compliments, I was very touched. Should've invited them!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by foodfiend (Thanks, Daphne. [img...)
"Should've invited them!" LOL, they would have probably been better, more appreciative guest...that's for sure! And didn't you just begin to GLOW when they asked you if you catered all the time?!?!?

BTW, I read your comment on the picture of the braciole but wasn't sure how you felt it turned out? Was it accepted well? What did you and Jack think?

Also, some of your comments came through with symbols instead of letters, but I could figure it out, most of the time. It's not like you were adding an apostrophe or something...strange. And as always...you look lovely and well put together! I love that your dress matched your setting!
Daphne
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by foodfiend (Thanks, Daphne. [img...)
I am sorry the day and the out-laws were not appreciative and gracious.

The meal and the setting looks beautiful.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by esgunn (I am sorry the day a...)
Out-laws! Why haven't I thought of that moniker?!?! Thanks, Erin!

Daphne, oh the braciole was quite delicious, the flavors went together so well and the meat literally melted in your mouth. My husband's aunt and cousin (who brought his elderly mother)swooned over it, as did DH. The rest of them? I'll never know. But we had only 2 slices left!

I wonder what all of the symbols were for, I'll have a look. And the dress I wore to my Gram's 90th 8 years ago and I told my Mom that I plan wear it to her 90th in 16 years. Sure got my $22 out of it, that's for sure!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by foodfiend (Out-laws! Why haven...)
I'm glad you felt good about the braciole! I was worried about you making this based on my dinner review! Not to mention all the problems about figuring out how to fix it ahead.

"Sure got my $22 out of it, that's for sure!" YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! I need you to take me shopping!
Daphne
  Re: The Birthday Dinner by foodfiend (Well, a mere week ag...)
Magnificent, beautiful presentation!! If some picked around, forgive them, they obviously have no taste. I'll eat at your house any time!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by Old Bay (Magnificent, beautif...)
Daphne, that dress was one of my best "clearance price plus extra percent off plus a coupon" bargains ever!!

Bill, "picking" I could probably understand but not even thanking me, or telling me that the food was good, was a bit on the nasty side. In fact, one BIL and SIL pointedly ignored me and didn't say a word to me all night. Oops! Time for some (more) rum!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: The Birthday Dinner by foodfiend (Daphne, that dress w...)
Wow, you did a fabulous job, Vicci! Everything is absolutely perfect and all of the food looks spectacular. I'm thinking that maybe the out-laws have no class at all to behave that way on such an important occasion. I hope that your MIL didn't feel the tension and was able to enjoy her day. I'm positive that she appreciated your hard work and meticulous planning. And you looked absolutely beautiful and glowing! Feel good about giving such a wonderful party and enjoy the praise from your husband. What a sweetheart!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."