Hot Dog Buns
  Re: (...)
I know there was some talk about the top opening hot dog buns and how only a lucky few can find them. I also know there is a name for them, but can't remember what it is.

There was a tip on the erecipe mailing today about easily making your own. Thought I'd share it:

Gourmet Hot Dog Buns
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Hot Dog Buns by esgunn (I know there was som...)
Very cool, Erin! I love those things! BUT, I've been pretty successful with the Popcorn Bread and top splitting them. I haven't perfected the process, yet, but I'm dang close! Thanks for the option though. If my next try doesn't work, I'll be using this!

Oh, and I'll tell DD, who doesn't bake bread, but WOULD buy deli baked Italian Bread for this wonderful top split bread option for hot dogs, tuna salad, etc....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by Gourmet_Mom (Very cool, Erin! I ...)
I got that email today also, Erin. Isn't that a great idea?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by Mare749 (I got that email tod...)
Hi Erin

Love this tip - I did see on the King Arthur site some pans for sale
for making these top cut buns - Looked interesting

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by mjkcooking (Hi Erin[br][br]Love ...)
What is Popcorn Bread??
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by Barbarainnc (What is Popcorn Brea...)
Barbara, a discussion of Brewers Yeast and Popcorn caused Labs to post a recipe for this delight that many of us have made over and over! Popcorn Bread 1

In this thread, Denise was having trouble finding the thread with the recipe. So Jean posted it in the second post of the thread and then posted three discussions of the bread, including the one I posted above.

Popcorn Bread 2

It's truly my favorite bread to make when you're looking for a soft, grocery store type of consistency! I urge you to try it. You'll be hooked like the rest of us. It's funny, we all thought it was crazy to begin with, but we all fell in love with it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, a discussio...)
I agree with Daphne, we love the popcorn bread recipe too. Once thing I found out recently though is that it doesn't freeze all that well. When I took some out of the freezer recently that had been made only a few weeks ago, it was rather dry. So we just toasted it, and that was fine, but nothing like it fresh baked.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by Mare749 (I agree with Daphne,...)
God, I hate the mess this popcorn makes when I make the bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hot Dog Buns by cjs (God, I hate the mess...)
Oh yea! I totally forgot! I think it was Sharon that commented that we could have warned her about the static electricity created when you process the popcorn in the food processor. Just be careful when you open the lid. I tend to let it sit for a few minutes. It helps a little, but it still has a little "life" left in it and wants to "fly around"...LOL!
Daphne