Emergency Advice Needed!
  Re: (...)
I hope someone can answer this before 4:00.

I am making this smoked pulled-pork roast in the oven and I am roasting it at 225 degrees for 8-10 hours. Basting every hour. The last hour of cooking I am supposed to remove it, wrap it in plastic wrap, then seal in foil.

My question: I usually have Reynolds professional cling wrap, however, I do not have it right now. Will Glad Cling wrap work? Or will it melt?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by luvnit (I hope someone can a...)
On their website, they say Cling is safe for the micro but not a conventional oven. Even though I've worked in kitchens where food was wrapped in film then covered with foil, then thrown in the oven, I was never sure this was a safe thing to do.

Kind of awkward, but is parchment a possibility?

Hope this helps.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by pjcooks (On their website, th...)
Laura, I have never heard of this so my advice is merely an opinion. I agree with PJ, it just doesn't sound safe. Why not just double wrap in foil? I assume the goal is to keep moisture inside.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by chef_Tab (Laura, I have never ...)
Thank you both! I agree with both of you. Wrapping in Glad Cling doesn't sound safe. I thought maybe just the foil would be good. Unless I hear otherwise on this forum from an experienced person, I will do that. I would trust the professional cling wrap, not this stuff.

Thank you, thank you both!
Laura
  Re: Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by chef_Tab (Laura, I have never ...)
I have to agree with PJ - I was always hesitant to use this method in kitchens. Can't see why just the foil wouldn't do the job.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by cjs (I have to agree with...)
The reason for the cling wrap is because it seals so tightly around the meat. Some are safe for the oven/micro while others are not.

In the oven I put a layer of saran over a pan, then seal tightly with foil and bake.

If you don't have cling wrap use foil. Start with a small piece that you can press tightly all around (the heavy duty is too stiff for this) then wrap again with the heavy duty foil.

I'm making pulled pork too, but mine is out in the smoker. Looks like we're eating good tonight
  Re: Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by DFen911 (The reason for the c...)
When covering baking dishes, I've had no problem using a generic-brand plastic wrap and foil. The key is making sure that the foil completely covers the plastic, leaving no plastic wrap exposed. The foil keeps the plastic wrap from melting and the plastic wrap keeps the foil from sticking to the food.

I've never tried this technique for wrapping anything like a roast directly.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Emergency Advice Needed! by labradors (When covering baking...)
Tonight is over. I really appreciate all the advice. I think everyone comes from a point of reference that is valuable.
Laura