Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10??
  Re: (...)
What's on your menu for tonight?

We're havine Carne Guisada (stewed meat) from The Border Cookbook - one of my July chosen cookbooks. How I wish it was too hot to do this....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by cjs (What's on your menu...)
Cornish Game hens in the spit.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by BarbaraS (Cornish Game hens in...)
Leftovers from last night. Took a break from experimenting with burgers and did the following:
  1. Fried some bacon in a sauté pan.
  2. Drained off most of the bacon fat.
  3. Added a bunch of chicken pulled from a bought roasted chicken.
  4. Added some chicken stock.
  5. Brought it all to a boil.
  6. Tossed in some spiral pasta.
  7. Cooked that until the pasta was done and most of the liquid was gone.
  8. Added some heavy cream.
  9. Added some Swiss cheese.
  10. Cooked all of that until the cheese was thoroughly melted and the whole mixture was thickened.
  11. Added a little seasoned salt.
So, it was kind of a homemade "chicken helper" stove-top casserole. It was delicious.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by labradors (Leftovers from last ...)
Good Lord, just tell me what's not to love in that "chicken helper" Labs!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by cjs (Good Lord, just tell...)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by labradors ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Really!

I'm planning pizzas on the grill. William's finally dragging me from my cool cocoon into the heat to help with yard work. OIY! At least the heat has abated a bit...only in the 80's yesterday and today.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by Gourmet_Mom (Really![br][br]I'm p...)
Dang it! Everything sounds so good!! I don't have time to do anything fancy, so just making a fast chicken casserole. Still prepping for tomorrow's dinner party.

Barbara - what do you put on your game hens?

Dahpne tell me about your crust, toppings and technique. Do you grill the dough on both sides a bit before adding toppings or just slide the whole thing on the grill? How thick is the dough? It's funny cause I was talking to Derek about this yesterday that I wanted to try grilled pizza

Jean you need to weigh in on this do Ms. Pizza Diva!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by DFen911 (Dang it! Everything ...)
Oh, Denise, you simply MUST get a copy of "Pizza, Pizza, Pizza"! I do the dough pretty thin, 'cause we like our crust thin and crispy. I prep all my toppings in bowls on a tray so I'll be ready. I couldn't believe how easy it was the first time...and SOOOO GOOD! I rub the grate with a little oil and slide on the crust. Close your lid and wait about 4-7 minutes. It should puff up and be slightly golden on bottom. Remove from the grill, flip it, add toppings (be sure to use CUBES of cheese UNDER your toppings) and slide back on the grill. Close the top and allow to cook another 6 minutes...until the bottom is golden and cheese is melted. YUMMMY!

Today, I'm making Jean's marinara and pizza dough. That pizza will be topped with William's favorites: mozz. and cheddar cheese "pillows", ham strips, pepperoni slices, cooked Italian sausage, carmelized onions, and anchovies.

The other pizza, Jean's recipe will make 2 pizza crusts, will have either regular basil pesto or sun-dried tomato pesto. I haven't decided what I want on that one, yet. I'll post when I decide.

You really MUST try this! I was so intimidated the first time! But it went off without a hitch! William thought I was crazy the first time, but now he refuses to let me do it any other way. If I have pizza planned and it's pouring rain, he'll make me wait for another day...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Denise, you simp...)
Denise is right. Everyone's dinner sounds good so far. We are having leftovers. I have some spaghetti sauce and meatballs. I will make some pasta and have a salad.

Jean's Chocolate Cookie Cheesecake bars in the oven. I am making 2 batches just to be sure there are some left for tomorrow's dinner.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 7/3/10?? by luvnit (Denise is right. Eve...)
"Oh, Denise, you simply MUST get a copy of "Pizza, Pizza, Pizza"!" - well.....I didn't want to say anything.....
www.achefsjourney.com