Harvest Watermelon Pie - Review
  Re: (...)
What a fun day - another new project. This pie is from the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and it's delicious. Smells and looks a little like a mince pie, but oh so much better and different from mince. We both prefer pies with just a top crust - not so heavy, so I used just a top crust and I also increased the flour to 2 tsps. and the consistency was just right for us. This really reminds me of a dessert to have with a Thanksgiving dinner and some whipped cream or ice cream, but we don't see many watermelons that time of the year.

[Image: WatermelonPieJul2.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Harvest Watermelon Pie

3 cups chopped watermelon rind -- (green peel removed)
1 (6-ounce) package sweetened dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon flour (I used 2 tsps.)
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts -- room temperature
Orange Glaze (below)

ORANGE GLAZE
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 tablespoon orange juice

Place rind in saucepan; add water to cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer until translucent and tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Stir together cooked rind, cranberries, walnuts, sugar, vinegar, pumpkin pie spice, flour, and salt. Fit one crust into 9-inch glass pie pan. Pour rind mixture into crust. Cut remaining crust into 1/2-inch wide strips; arrange strips over filling to make lattice crust. Press ends of strips into edge of bottom crust. Fold edge of bottom crust over strips. Seal and flute edge. Bake until filling bubbles and crust is brown, about 40 minutes. If needed, cover edge with aluminum foil during baking to prevent excessive browning. Remove pie from oven; spoon Orange Glaze over hot pie.

ORANGE GLAZE: Stir ingredients together until blended.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.

No telling what else I'm going to find cleaning these old files.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Harvest Watermelon Pie - Review by cjs (What a fun day - ano...)
Pretty pie, Jean! This sounds really different, but I think William would think I had lost my mind...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Harvest Watermelon Pie - Review by Gourmet_Mom (Pretty pie, Jean! T...)
That is a pretty pie, Jean. I just can't wrap my brain around that one. You are a lot more adventurous than we are.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
What fun! I'd play if I had an audience. Jean, I rarely make pie crust from scratch anymore. I know it's not hard and a lot cheaper, but I just love the fact that Pillsbury does the work for me, especially since they stopped folding it and started rolling it.

Looks good!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Harvest Watermelon Pie - Review by pjcooks (What fun! I'd play ...)
Thanks, Jean, my watermelons are almost ripe.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Wow, this brought back a memory. My grandma would can and/or pickle watermelon rinds. I would eat the pickled watermelon rinds right out of the jar. She colored those with bright red and green. The canned watermelon was just plain. No coloring. I will have to ask her if she made pie out of it, or just what she did with it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Harvest Watermelon Pie - Review by luvnit (Wow, this brought ba...)
I love watermelon pickles!!! I can them and use as a garnish to my sour apple martinis.

I love Pillsbury pie crust too! I'm with you, PJ, I don't make crust often enough anymore and don't think I make a good one anymore, so Pillsbury to the rescue.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com