Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80
  Re: (...)
(should've started this yesterday... should've started this yesterday... *kick* )

Last "big" thing to make for The Birthday Dinner tomorrow night is the Double Chocolate Almond Torte from Issue 80 and I have a question.

The instructions say that you can make it ahead, wrap tightly in plastic,and refrigerate BUT is this before or after you spread the ganache on top? I would love to make this entire recipe tonight and just keep it in the fridge until we leave late tomorrow afternoon, but with the ganache I wouldn't want to "wrap tightly"... or could I?

Even if the cake can be made this evening and wrapped, and the ganache spread on it, say, late tomorrow morning, that would be okay. I have a lot of last minute things to do and don't want to be ganach-ing the torte just before leaving.

I'm tired of figuring out what to do with the menu items for this party. PLEASE, somebody, tell me "Vicci, do this..."

And don't mention a rum drink, either. There's too much to get done, plus I not only sharpened my knives yesterday but I got a manicure (first, ever!) this afternoon so there's all sorts of things to go wrong without my being "impaired"!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by foodfiend ((should've started t...)
Vicci, hopefully Bill will come on and answer this for you. What I DO remember was that he and Jane made the cake ahead, refrigerated, then put the ganache on the day they were going to serve it. How soon that day, he will have to tell you.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by foodfiend ((should've started t...)
I think I made this, if I remember right, (and who knows at this stage) I always chill my cake then glaze and chill again. Always ahead, I don't like pesky details like that side tracking me on the day of. A lot like you, I think

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by pjcooks (I think I made this,...)
this won't be of any help to you, but I am certain that your nails look gorgeous, and I am still loving your new avatar. And because I am such a good friend to you, I will have that rum drink for you.

oh yeah........breathe 1 2 3, breathe 1 2 3
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by pjcooks (I think I made this,...)
Well, it's too late to help now, Vicki, but I have PJ's notes from when she made this and she added a little corn syrp to the glaze for more shine and refered the glaze a bit to let it thicken before topping the torte.

If you stick some picks in the the glazed torte to keeep wrap off the torte, then refrigerate, wrapped up it will be fine ahead of time. Just use the almond slices to cover any pick holes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by cjs (Well, it's too late ...)
Thanks, Jean, I had forgotten about that, oh my, my mind is on its way out...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by cjs (Well, it's too late ...)
Quote:

Well, it's too late to help now, Vicki, but I have PJ's notes from when she made this and she added a little corn syrp to the glaze for more shine and refered the glaze a bit to let it thicken before topping the torte.

If you stick some picks in the the glazed torte to keeep wrap off the torte, then refrigerate, wrapped up it will be fine ahead of time. Just use the almond slices to cover any pick holes.

What Jean said!!

I've made that Chocolate Espresso Torte from the very early issues, and the glaze has to be done on a very cold (read: frozen is good, then let it warm up in a fridge after glazing - and maybe not!) for it to pour smoothly on the cake top.

I'm just trying to figure how to recover the excess chocolate glaze that I end up tossing. What a waste!! I'm thinking about collecting it and re-warming it and re-pouring it even though it doesn't look lake-mirror perfect, but it would be just so much more tasty!

Has anyone done this? I know there has to be "enough" to do this cake topping in the first place, but there is a lot of leftover chocolate glaze.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Barbara, I just made this last week. Yes, I try every chocolate torte recipe!

I have almost a cup left over. I'm going to make a chocolate cake, warm it enough to room temp, then use it as a filling. To cut down on the chocolate overload, I'm going to top with Kahlua whipped cream, a la minute, so to speak. Maybe some choc covered espresso beans--

I'm happy to hear you had so much left over as well. Means I didn't screw up...

PJ.
PJ
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by pjcooks (Barbara, I just made...)
THANKS!

I went ahead and made the cake, it's in the refrigerator. Tomorrow morning I will put it in the freezer, make the glaze (I had actually remembered PJ's corn syrup tip from the review!), and glaze it, then use CJ's tip to use toothpicks then cover the holes with the almond slices.

Thanks, Theresa, for having that rum drink for me-- you're a pal!

Silly question, but does anyone actually eat the excess glaze? I'm not admitting to anything...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Help please! Double Choc Almond Torte Issue #80 by foodfiend (THANKS! [img]/ubbth...)
Quote:

Silly question, but does anyone actually eat the excess glaze?

Well, I shouldn't be one to answer, since I've actually made frosting - without having anything to frost - just to eat it by the spoonful. Not very often, mind you (it's been about four years since the last time), but I've done that.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?