Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat???
  Re: (...)
An even bigger and better crop this year!!! I know I've talked about these every year, but they are so good.

[Image: GarlicScapesRamps.jpg]

[Image: GarlicScapesRamps2.jpg]

So, tonight I'm making two small pizzas - one the Buffalo Bruschetta topping one and the other a Garlic Scape pizza. This is one of our all time favorite pizzas and such a nice light summer (grilled) dinner

10 garlic ramps(~3 oz.)
Olive oil for brushing
4 oz. coarsely grated fresh mozz.
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (or a combination of Parm/Reg and Romano)

Bring salted water to a boil; blanch the ramps until they are bright green but still al dente, about 1 minute. Drain pat dry and cut into 1" lengths.

Brush a pizza dough round with olive oil and sprinkle on the grated mozz. Scatter the blanched ramps over the mozz and season with salt & pepper (Be sure to do this step - it just brings out the flavors perfectly). top with the Parm/Regg. Cook your favorite way.

---

Also going to try sauteeing up some with garlic, olive oil/butter, and some kind of light seasoning and freeze - to see if it works. These have such a short season, that if this works, wow, how fun to have them available for a while.

I'm also making a Garlic Scape dressing and Orzo Risotto with Mushrooms and Garlic Scapes. You can make a pesto out of the ramps/scapes also.

You might look for these at your farmers markets.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat??? by cjs (An even bigger and b...)
I sure wish I had room to plant garlic. Looks great, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat??? by Lorraine (I sure wish I had ro...)
If I forget to plant garlic this year, will somebody come down here and kick my azz!?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat??? by Gourmet_Mom (If I forget to plant...)
you know I forgot to add that I have such a wonderful longing for this pristine (don't know where that came from, but it fits ) and simple pizza after the ramps are just a memory, I have made this with green onions and served it with a green salad for dinner. Great that way also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat??? by cjs (you know I forgot to...)
I'll testify to the yummy-ness of the green onion version.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat??? by Gourmet_Mom (I'll testify to the ...)
Jean how about pickling some to put in salads?

I was told to reduce down some Champayne Vinegar and when it was thick

to put scapes in and let set a few days and start using.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Garlic Scapes/Ramps - A Repeat??? by mjkcooking (Jean how about pick...)
They are good in salads also - the reduction sounds very good also.
www.achefsjourney.com