School Lunches - sort of
  Re: (...)
The boys have gymnastics practice in the mornings for the summer (Steph is still at night but that is a whole other post!) The gym they go to is part of the summer free lunch program, that the school district the gym falls in, provides for kids over the summer.

One of the newer coaches is a personal trainer in his other life and a real fitness/nutrition guy. A little over board for the little kids I think, but balanced healthy eating is all good. So we have been having lots of talks about healthy snacks, healthy eating, unhealthy eating. Get your food from the outside perimiter of the grocery store and such. These two concepts: the fitness guy vs the school free lunch isn't meshing very well!

I just wanted to share some of things I have been hearing the last few days.
Yesterday the two options were corn dogs or turkey subs. Fruit a vegetable, milk or chocolate milk. My guys and the one boy we are driving all picked the turkey subs. Mom those corn dogs didn't look very good. Kent wanted a yogurt too, but they wouldn't let him have one. his words "I guess they think a yogurt is a whole meal??"

Today was Hamburgers. Chris and Kent had hamburgers a fruit and vegi and milk. Nicholas had apple sauce, grapes and cucumbers and a milk. I asked him why he didn't have a hamburger. "Mom I just didn't think it was a very healthy snack". Kent, "yeah it wasn't very healthy, but it was what they had".

I guess if you just keep at it and reinforce it over and over again, it starts to sink in. I am proud of my healthy eaters - even if they are left hungry...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: School Lunches - sort of by esgunn (The boys have gymnas...)
Good for the three of them!! And congratulations to you two moms for loving your kids enough to take the time with them and food.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: School Lunches - sort of by cjs (Good for the three o...)
That is so cute! I love their clear understanding of what is good for them. And I agree that their moms need a pat on the back as well. Well done, Mom!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: School Lunches - sort of by cjs (Good for the three o...)
Just for fun, for some interesting take-to-school lunches, be sure to watch Eat Drink Man Woman - one of the best foodie movies there is. You'll love the lunches that Chu makes for Shan-Shan. I'd love to have one of those lunch boxes that Shan-Shan has.

P.S.: Even though Tortilla Soup is an adaptation of Eat Drink Man Woman, and IS a good movie on its own, it is not a substitute for the original, and has nothing like Shan-Shan's lunches.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: School Lunches - sort of by labradors (Just for fun, for so...)
Labs, I love that movie and agree with you; I would love to have one of those lunches!

Erin, it sounds like your kids are making great food choices for being so young and that's because of the great job you are doing by encouraging healthy eating. My daughters are trying to do the same with their children and I'm always so impressed when they come over and are happy with an orange or cherry tomatoes for a snack. Oh, my little Abby smiles from ear to ear when I bake a cake, but we're careful to encourage moderation when it comes to sweets.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: School Lunches - sort of by esgunn (The boys have gymnas...)
Good for you, Erin. I wish I was that successful with my three. #1 ate everything, #2 only veggies and #3 only meat. I gave up and just served the meal, letting each choose his own, with a side of a multi vitamin.

They're all more adventuresome these days, happy and thriving, all turned out well.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: School Lunches - sort of by pjcooks (Good for you, Erin. ...)
Thank You all. Belive me, we like corn dogs, hamburgers, pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc. etc. etc. But it is nice to know that they realize there is a time and place for those and lunch time during a gymnastics practice is not the best time! They need to keep up their strength and energy.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.