What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone??

We're heading home tomorrow morning, so will clean out the frig and leftovers tonight. Leftovers from Zesta's Bistro.

Calamari – served with two aiolis, roasted garlic & Spanish piquillo – both very good & ate it all

Mushrooms stuffed spicy sausage, Asiago and herb cream sauce – again very good and again we ate it all

AND a basket of the most delicious fresh, warm, baked bread
------ could have stopped right there if we hadn’t put in an order already!

Roy had Fettuccine Ricardo (Parm, Alfredo sauce, chicken and zucchini) pretty good, but he barely touched it.

Mine was a pizza – goat cheese, artichokes, Kalamatas, red bell, goat cheese, mozz. and pine nuts. Only able to force down one slice!! pretty good.

So, lots for dinner. BUT, the bottle of wine we had was outstanding, but we really got ripped off with the price. We paid $26.00 for a bottle of Charles & Charles (a collaboration-see below), a blend of 50% each: Cab Sauv. and Syrah – it was just wonderful! Looked it up on the web this a.m. and its $9.99 a bottle! Hate that when a restaurant marks wine up THAT much. No reason for that. But the wine was certainly worth much more than $10. that’s for sure.
http://www.whwc.com/p/305784

We love Three Thieves Zin that one of the 'Charles' makes - haven't found it for a while.

Anyway, back to our menus for tonight - sorry for the rambling.

Edited to add - Roy just got up and to told me I must have had too many glasses of wine yesterday we paid $36.00 for that bottle of wine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Your meal sounds great, especially the mushrooms. The markup on wines in Toronto restaurants was often 400%.

We have enough food in the apartment to feed all of Virginia. A severe thunderstorm rolled through yesterday just before the wedding we did at the winery. The power was out for hours. We sent a staff to get lots of bags of ice, and filled every cooler we had with the most expensive food from the fridges/freezer, and gave what we could to the staff to take home. We'll go back today to throw out the rest and clean. What was to be a day of rest will be a day of cooking whatever I can.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by Lorraine (Your meal sounds gre...)
You guys can not get a break weather-wise, Lorraine. So sorry to hear of the latest battle with the weather Gods.

400%!! I remember during the classes we had on pricing wine in school, how to figure what the wine was worth, but of course, I can't remember now. Will have to get my notes out when I get home!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by cjs (You guys can not get...)
I was supposed to attend a workshop today, so I set a pack of ribs to thaw last night. I'm trying out a new creamed corn recipe and something green.

I didn't go to the workshop, obviously. William's kidney stone, which had taken the weekend off, started moving last night, so I've made an appointment with the urologist for this afternoon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by Gourmet_Mom (I was supposed to at...)
Daphne, so sorry to hear that William is still not feeling better. I hope the doc can get him fixed up quickly.

I'm picking up a book on Vietnamese cooking that I saw on Amazon and ordered from the library. I do this to see if it's a book that I actually want to own before buying it.

Anyway, I'm on a mission to find a spicey chicken and rice recipe to duplicate what we had with Daphne and William when we were visiting. Hopefully, that is what I'll be making today, or tomorrow if I have to go to the Asian market.

Lorraine, we got that same storm yesterday afternoon and it knocked out power all over the place, with trees down everywhere. When we were driving to the birthday party, we saw a huge tree that came down on the hood of a car that was in the street. The driver was in an ambulance already, hopefully not seriously hurt.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by Mare749 (Daphne, so sorry to ...)
and if it is, you will certainly post it, right, Maryann?

just a little aside: I better not be posting anymore today, we just finished one batch of Ramos Fizzes (6 oz. gin) and Roy has promised all sorts of things (make the bed, do the dishes, take ot the garbage......) if I will make one more batch....geez, I'm so easy.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by cjs (and if it is, you wi...)
"geez, I'm so easy. "

That's what we have all heard from Gertie, Jean.

I finally decided on steamers with corn on the cob. That's it. Well, cold beer of course.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by chef_Tab ("geez, I'm so easy. ...)
Daphne, I'm so sorry to hear that William isn't feeling better. I hope the urologist can help!

As for dinner, I'm not feeling too inspired, so I think it will be chicken tacos with roasted poblanos and slaw.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by karyn (Daphne, I'm so sorry...)
Oh Daphne, I'm sorry to hear William is not doing well again.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 6/28?? by cjs (Oh Daphne, I'm sorry...)
The doc said it's very small and should pass easily. It's just that it's so painful when it moves AND there are dangers of infection. The doc gave him a prescription for antibiotic, so that was a relief. And hey, it got me out of my workshop. On the downside, we were at the doctor's office from 1 to 6! That is ridiculous!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.