OT, but it got me cooking
  Re: (...)
I got my new iphone 4 today. After reading all the reports, I was worried it was going to be a zoo at the store, but it was a breeze. I got it from Best Buy and it was a wonderful experience. I was so happy (I am truly a techno geek), that I decided to cook while I waited for it to restore from my old one. I made one of my favorites, the Hawaiian Pork from Bon Appetit. I also made the filling and sauce for the Blueberry-Orange napoleons from the Next Food Network star show. The sauce and filling turned out great. I found an box of phyllo cups in the freezer, so I am going to use that instead of the phyllo sheets. I think the filling and sauce would be great on crepes, so I might try it next with raspberries instead of blueberries and use low fat cream cheese and maybe some non-fat Greek yogurt.

Anyway, the pork turned out wonderful as usual so all in all it was a great day. I love the new phone, especially the two sided camera, and the folder feature. Now if I could sell my old 3g I would be so happy.
  Re: OT, but it got me cooking by Cubangirl (I got my new iphone ...)
Sounds fun, CG. I mean the phone AND your meal! Sure wish I had more of a brain for that techno stuff, but I get too impatient if I can't figure it out in 30 seconds or less. I've been putting off buying a GPS for the same reason.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by Mare749 (Sounds fun, CG. I m...)
Oh, Maryann, if I can work a GPS, you certainly can. We have one in each car and I can tell you the GPS is the #1 deterent to divorce or murder when traveling.

The food sounds good too!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by cjs (Oh, Maryann, if I ca...)
I'm due a phone upgrade, so I'm thinking of looking into the iphones.

Dinner sounds great!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by cjs (Oh, Maryann, if I ca...)
Quote:

Oh, Maryann, if I can work a GPS, you certainly can. We have one in each car and I can tell you the GPS is the #1 deterent to divorce or murder when traveling.

The food sounds good too!!

Jean, that is too funny. Ron and I must be the only couple on the planet who can get lost while USING a GPS and get in an argument at the same time because men don't like to ask for directions! It turns out, the borrowed GPS had not been updated since it was purchased and was all messed up.
Maryann

Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The pork turned out fantastic, so tender it melted in your mouth. Just for fun, I subbed half of the soy sauce with Sweet Thai soy sauce. I think it made the sauce a little thicker. I purposefully made almost 5 lbs. of boneless spare ribs, so we have a couple more meals out of it. Made the stir fried cabbage, but was not paying attention and bought pre-shredded red cabbage (it was on sale) instead of the green head the recipe requested. Turned out great and and was done in less than 15 minutes. I think next time I will use a combo of red and green (and buy preshredded again). I had bought the ginger at the Asian market and it is the best ginger I've ever used and lot cheaper than TJs.

I am on the market for a new GPS, looked at them yesterday after I got the iphone. I always pay extra to rent one from Hertz and it has been a lifesaver. When I go to Bradenton I take my folks to all their doctors appointments, so knowing how long it will take to get there, in addition to directions is really helpful. And in Miami, having it tell me which lane to choose way ahead has helped me from having to circle back several times.

New maps are really important, DH has a built in one in his Avalon, but it is a 2005 and it has given us incorrect data on more than one occasion (google on the iphone saved the day). It costs a lot to update that one, so buying new one will save money on the rental and will have it for our use. Deciding which one is the problems, though I am leaning toward the Magellan with the big screen.
  Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by Cubangirl (The pork turned out ...)
That's what we have - Magellans, love them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by cjs (That's what we have ...)
Thanks Jean, that was my next question. The kids told me to get one with a big screen and to make sure it talks.
Maryann

Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, that wa...)
...and you'll be surprised at how fast you start talking back to her!! Right, cubangirl????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT, but it got me cooking by cjs (...and you'll be sur...)
Thank goodness for cell phones, so other drivers assume you are talking on that and not to the GPS!!. I talk to it all the time, especially when I don't go the way it wants and it tells me to make a legal u-turn. Our old one would say "off route- recalculating" my mom found it very funny and said the voice actually sounded frustrated the more it had to recalculate.

Glad to know you like the Magellan. This is the one I am pretty certain I'll get. It costs me $197.00 for one month rental from Hertz (the neverlost is a Magellan) so one trip gives me my money back.

BTW, I really like the blueberry dessert I mentioned above. DH was not that crazy about, but then he does not like blueberry sauces. I have some raspberries I am thinking of doing it with raspberries.
DH could not wait to have leftovers from the pork and the cabbage. That is such as easy recipe, that if you have not tried it I highly recommend it.