Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review
  Re: (...)
Well, I'm on the fence on this dish. Must say the wonderful "Margherita" flavor we all love on pizza just did not come thru completely for me. It was good, but... (faint praise, indeed )

One thing I would mention, is to mix in the pasta before the tomatoes and Mozz. My mozz got pretty clumped up and seemed to glue some of the pasta together. Maybe that way, the cheese wouldn't get quite so warm as to completely melt.

Overall, guess I'd give it a 7 - but Roy really enjoyed it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by cjs (Well, I'm on the fen...)
Thanks for the warning Jean I will save my tomatoes and basil for grilled pizza. It has become a regular on our dinner menu.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by chef_Tab (Thanks for the warni...)
Theresa,

Not having seen the actual recipe for the Margherita Pasta, I don't know how it would compare, but when it comes to fresh tomatoes and basil, the Summer Pasta recipe I posted a couple of years ago is a VERY "tried-and-true" recipe that has become a regular standard in my family. My parents make it at least ten times a year, and that's not counting the fact that they always have it two nights in a row.

Here are a few other notes to go with it:
  1. The original recipe uses 1 1/2 pounds of pasta, so it makes a very large batch. Halving or even quartering the recipe works well. My parents always quarter it.
  2. This recipe is best fresh, when it's just been made, so my mom came up with a great way to have "leftovers" without having to try to reheat everything. The secret is in the pasta. If you plan to serve some of this dish as "leftovers," then only cook the amount of pasta needed for immediate use and put only part of the tomato mixture into that, and refrigerate the unused portion of the tomato mixture. The day that you are going to serve the "leftovers," take the tomato mixture out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature. Then cook a fresh batch of pasta and combine the mixture into that. That way, everything will taste just as fresh as "leftovers" as it did originally.
  3. To add some protein to this without taking away from the great flavour it has, just mix in some shredded or diced cooked chicken.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by labradors (Theresa,[br][br]Not ...)
I just checked and the recipes are extremely similar. In the C@H version, the garlic is cooked in the oil prior to adding to the pasta mix and pine nuts are also added. Then grilled chicken.
Funny thing is the whole thing reminds me of my all time favorite, which has more of a greek flare, with lemon juice, feta, kalamata olives, and oregano with tomatoes on pasta.
Theresa

Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by chef_Tab (I just checked and t...)
Well, if the Margherita Pasta is THAT similar, yet THAT lacklustre, the cooking of the garlic may be what killed it. Does the Margherita Pasta have as much basil as the Summer Pasta? The latter really has a lot, for a wonderful, brilliant basil flavour.

The Summer Pasta is one of those dishes that, no matter where I've taken it or for whom I've made it, there are always lots of requests for the recipe, so I always take printed copies of the recipe with me. It really is that reliable, so if the Margherita Pasta recipe is THAT close, then something about it must be different enough for it to have been received so poorly.
  Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by chef_Tab (I just checked and t...)
Yes, Labs, Maryann is correct. The two recipes are almost exactly alike, with the exception of infusing the oil with the garlic.

Jean, we were underwhelmed by this one as well. I had everything ready ahead of time, so my mozzarella didn't melt, at all. I agree with your rating...a 7. I'll be interested in what OS thinks of it. I may just let him eat this for dinner tonight instead of cooking him a chicken breast. It's right up his alley.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, Labs, Maryann i...)
Quote:

Yes, Labs, Maryann is correct. The two recipes are almost exactly alike, with the exception of infusing the oil with the garlic.

From what was mentioned earlier, the oil was not just infused withe the garlic, but the garlic was actually cooked in the oil, and that would diminish the garlic strength.

Two main things affect the strength of garlic in a dish: the amount the garlic is cut up and when it is added to the cooking. Whole cloves of garlic impart less flavour directly to foods than sliced garlic, and minced or pressed garlic would give more than sliced or whole. Adding garlic later in the cooking, will also yield a stronger garlic flavour. If it is cooked, at all, the flavour will not be as strong as it would be for raw garlic.

So, unless the proportionate quantities of garlic and basil are less for the Margherita Pasta, it would seem the cooking of the garlic may be the main reason for the less-than-stellar results.
  Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good point. I may add some fresh to the dish tonight when I serve it to OS and see what that does to it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by Gourmet_Mom (Good point. I may a...)
In the instructions, it even says "it's important to cook the raw taste out of the garlic so it doesn't over-power the other flavors in the dish"

8 oz dry spaghetti
3 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
2 cups diced mozzarella
1/4 cup evoo
2 Tbl minced garlic
1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
toasted pine nuts
Theresa

Re: Re: Margherita Pasta - Issue #82 Review by chef_Tab (In the instructions,...)
I might ad that without trying the pasta dish yet, I am pretty sure the main difference for me with the pizza would be the tomatoes being slightly grilled. I love grilled tomatoes, and when I did the slices on the pizza, they had that flavor. Maybe adding lightly grilled tomatoes to the pasta solid would give it a lift.
Theresa