Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th??
  Re: (...)
Guess what we're having??????

first of the year!
[Image: 1stArtichokes.jpg]

And the first recipe from Issue #82 - Margherita Pasta with grilled chicken. Just a little anxious for dinner!

What's on your menu?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by cjs (Guess what we're hav...)
wow, I have never seen artichokes anywhere but the store. How cool are those? As if I wasn't entirely impressed with you already, Jean. Loving the mountains in the backdrop too.

Tonight is my dinner at the winery owners', so it is a surprise to me. I finally decided on the strawberry shortcakes with creme anglaise because I had all of the ingredients on hand. I really wanted to do the flan, but that would have required another trip to the grocery store and then I would have been tempted to buy new custard cups with no room to store them. Maybe if we get invited back.....
Would a bottle of good Gin be nice hostess gift? She once mentioned they enjoy martinis on the deck. I know not to bring wine
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by chef_Tab (wow, I have never se...)
I think Gin or flowers would be great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by cjs (I think Gin or flowe...)
Jean, the artichokes are beautiful!

I had the Margherita Pasta with Grilled Chicken on my list to do first from the new issue, too. I KNEW I had a reason to buy that fresh mozzarella on sale at the store in town yesterday!

I'm not sure what I may fix, it's supposed to get up to 97 today, with the heat index close to 110! This heat just saps you so quickly! I've got a whole watermelon cut up and chilled in the fridge, and a bunch of peaches that I'm getting ready to process for the freezer. It may be fruit...LOL!

Theresa, I hope you have a great time! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, the artichokes...)
Daphne, just put that pizza out on the counter and it will cook itself.

I was planning to make Jean's corn dogs tonight, but Ron is gone all day for a golf outing that includes a steak dinner. So, I will probably just make a salad and top with the leftover grilled chicken from last night.

Theresa, have a wonderful dinner tonight. Your dessert sounds perfect and a gift of good gin sounds good as well.

Jean, those artichokes are gorgeous.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by Mare749 (Daphne, just put tha...)
Quote:

Daphne, just put that pizza out on the counter and it will cook itself.

Funny, I said the same thing to hubby when I set the pizza dough to rise yesterday. I was half afraid I would end up with a loaf of bread.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by chef_Tab ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I wish my issue 82 would arrive . Maybe today. They recipes you keep talking about sound delicious. And Jean, you are so lucky to be able to grow your own artichokes. I grew up just south of San Francisco, and we always had artichoke plants in the backyard. I really miss those!

I decided to try the Chicken Linguine with Candied Tomatoes from Perfect Pasta that you've all raved about. I realized when I reread it that John could just ignore the tomatoes. I'm really looking forward to it.
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by karyn (I wish my issue 82 w...)
Karyn, where south of S.F. did you live? We were in San Jose/Willow Glen area for years. In fact, I graduated from high school in S.J.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by cjs (Guess what we're hav...)
Absolutely nothing planned, so most likely, nothing. Spent the first half of my day at the Dairy Bar, then changed and ran across campus to orientation, where I hand scanned the freshmen into the system.

Jean, they're gorgeous. Am jealous, I don't think they grow around here. Theresa, have fun. I think strawberry shortcake is perfect this time of year. And Karyn, what time shall I arrive for dinner?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Thuursday's Dinner - June 24th?? by cjs (Karyn, where south o...)
Quote:

Karyn, where south of S.F. did you live? We were in San Jose/Willow Glen area for years. In fact, I graduated from high school in S.J.

I grew up in the Palo Alto area, a Gunn HS grad and 5th generation Californian. To my parents' dismay, my children were both born in NC, and I've lived more than half my life in the South. No one else in my family has managed to leave California for longer than it takes to graduate from college. I love to visit, but really have no desire to live there on a permanent basis ever again. Life in the South is pretty darn good for us! I feel very blessed.