Helpful Tip, Maybe
  Re: (...)
I get so tired of trying to estimate how many/what size cloves of garlic makes up a tablespoon - so, did you know:

1 T. minced garlic = .4 oz. now, doesn't that make our life easier???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by cjs (I get so tired of tr...)
With my taste for garlic, my usual conversion rule is "1 clove of garlic in a recipe = 1 LARGE clove of garlic actually used (or two small cloves)."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by cjs (I get so tired of tr...)
It will make life easier when I get my scale out of storage. For now I err on the side of doubling the garlic. haha
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by chef_Tab (It will make life ea...)
Labs writing recipes for cookbooks, I want to be as precise as possible for beginning cooks - of course, for ourselves I eyeball and add more.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by cjs (Labs writing recipes...)
Eyeball and add more, yup that works for me
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by farnfam (Eyeball and add more...)
Is that what you would tell your daughters or sons just starting out????? Am I being too picky with the recipes?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by cjs (Is that what you wou...)
I prefer tablespoons to cloves, for the simple reason of varying sizes of cloves. But even at that, I usually double it, too. As far as weighing it out, there's a hole in your idea of offering the weight instead of cloves or tablespoons. The average cook, just starting out, isn't going to have a scale.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by Gourmet_Mom (I prefer tablespoons...)
O.k. forget this idea - it wouldn't have been in place of it would have been info in addition.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by cjs (O.k. forget this ide...)
If you're including it as additional info, I think it makes sense. Then you have the option. Personally, when I have minced and measured garlic, I would have used the scale over a measuring spoon....lots easier.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Helpful Tip, Maybe by cjs (Is that what you wou...)
Quote:

Am I being too picky with the recipes?

Not for writing recipes. Not at all. Written recipes SHOULD be precise.

Besides, you never said your tip was intended for use in writing recipes - only that it was a helpful hint. I think it's a very handy tip for those who like to buy jars of minced garlic (or who mince up a bunch ahead of time, themselves) and wouldn't, otherwise, have cloves to count.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?