Homemade Corn Dogs
  Re: (...)
O.K., here’s the final recipe I’m going to post here from my next book – Corn Dogs. This is one of the most fun recipes (not to mention tasty!) in the book, Black Beans & Corn.

For enjoying at home, you can use the hot dog whole or cut in half. For a party, cut the dogs in quarters or 1 1/2" slices and make ‘Corn Dog Pups’ They really are quite good.

Corn Dogs

Any book worth its salt written about corn needs to have a recipe for corn dogs, so here is my version. Until I started making them I didn’t care for corn dogs because they always seemed to be more bread than any ‘dog.’ I hope you’ll find this method will give you a much lighter and thinner coating. Cutting the hot dogs in quarters or thirds makes a nice appetizer for a party.

1 lb. hot dogs
4 cups corn oil
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 T. vegetable shortening
1/3 cup milk (you might need 1 to 2 T. more of milk to thin)
1 egg
8 wooden chop sticks
Good Mustard

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Bring 3 cups of water to boiling in a large saucepan. Add hot dogs and bring back to boiling. Remove from heat; cover 20 minutes.

Pour 2” of oil into a deep skillet and heat to 375°F.

Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar in a bowl, mixing together well. Add the shortening and cut into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender until the size of small peas.

Combine the milk and egg and add the flour/cornmeal mixture to it; mix well, adding additional milk 1 T. at a time to achieve the consistency of a thick pancake batter. Pour batter into a tall glass or a shallow bowl which allows you to roll the hot dog in the batter.

Remove hot dogs from the water and pat dry with paper towels.

Insert a chop stick into the hot dog, at least half the length of the hot dog.

Dip the hot dog into the batter letting excess batter drip back into the container. With the back edge of a table knife, scrape the battered hot dog off the chop stick into the hot oil, very carefully, and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning to cook each side. Cook two at a time so the oil does not cool off too much.

Drain the corn dogs on a rack set over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven as you cook the remaining corn dogs.
Reinsert a chop stick or small pick into each corn dog as it keeps warm in the oven.

Slather the corndogs in your favorite mustard. 8 corn dogs.

CJ’s tip: to give the corn dogs a little zip add a couple shakes of Tabasco to the batter.

------

Another idea to make these ahead of time, follow the directions up to frying the 'pups' for a hors d'oeuvre. Deep fry the 1 1/2" slices for just 30-40 seconds; remove from oil, drain on rack. Cool and place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Place in freezer until firm.

When ready to serve, remove from the parchment paper into the hot oil carefully and fry for 3 minutes.

[Image: CORNDOGSJUNE14.jpg]

[Image: CORNDOGSUPRIGHT.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by cjs (O.K., here’s the fin...)
Oh my, you just had to post this when my dinner is already planned!!! Now I'll have to wait until tomorrow to make these...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by Mare749 (Oh my, you just had ...)
For some reason, I just have never liked corn dogs, but if you were to use a standard tempura batter (1 C flour + 1 C ice-cold water + 1 egg) and dip them in sweet chili sauce, I'd go for it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by labradors (For some reason, I j...)
do it and let me know how it works! I've never cared for them either, but with these there isn't the overpowering cornmeal yucky taste.

Maryann, they're good
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by cjs (do it and let me kno...)
Aren't they just the cutest little things!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Homemade Corn Dogs by Gourmet_Mom (Aren't they just the...)
I love corn dogs, and those look adorable!