need dessert ideas
  Re: (...)
I am beyond excited! The owners of the vineyard and winery I am now an employee of just called and invited hubby and I for dinner at their home. They are a wonderful elderly couple, extremely educated and somewhat intimidating to me. I insisted on bringing something with us and the Mrs. finally agreed to dessert. I am thinking pineapple crisp but would love some other ideas. Dinner is Thursday, and it is stinking hot with no A/C. I so want to make a good impression. I adore these people. Another thought was the sopapilla cheesecake, but I haven't made that yet. After the dessert pizza fiasco, I am afraid to experiment.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: need dessert ideas by chef_Tab (I am beyond excited!...)
I love the [Email]C@H[/Email] New York Cheesecake! I'd do something cold, since it's so hot. Although, the pineapple crisp with some ice cream WOULD be good. Then there's the Cream Cheese Ice Cream! YUM! There's also a yummy looking Lemonade Pie recipe in the latest issue. Jean's "French Fries" with "Catsup" was cool...you could use one of they're wines for the "Catsup". If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Just had a thought....the lemonade pie has a fruit (forget what kind) swirl in the topping. (It looks kinda like a cheesecake.) You could always do that with a wine reduction maybe...but then that might be a bit too much experimenting. The wine reduction with some fruit for topping the cheesecake would also be cool! You could experiment with the reduction ahead of time. If it doesn't work, just go with the regular recipe with just a fruit topping.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by Gourmet_Mom (I love the [Email]C@...)
You do have an ice cream maker???? I can try to find, or maybe Jean can come through - her Lemon Luscious ice cream is to absolutely die for.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by Harborwitch (You do have an ice c...)
I have it Sharon. I can't believe I still haven't made this. I think I just found my treat for the Fourth!

* Exported from MasterCook *

LEMON-LUSCIOUS ICE CREAM

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 lg. egg yolks
1 cup sugar -- divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T. unsalted butter -- softened
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
4 tsp. vodka -- optional (uhhhhh, I used...)
1/2 tsp. Cobasan -- optional (did not use)

Have ready near the range a strainer suspended over a medium bowl.

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, w/a wooden spoon, beat the yolks & 3/4 c. of the sugar till well blended. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, butter, & salt.

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thickened & resembles hollandaise sauce; it should thickly coat the wooden spoon but still be liquid enuf to pour.

The mixture willl change from translucent to opaque & begin to take on a yellow color on the back of the spoon. (196°) The mixture must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly to keep the mixture from boiling.

When the mixture has thickened, pour it at once into the strainer.

Press w/the back of a spoon till only a coarse residue remains. Discard the residue.

In a med. bowl, combine the cream & milk. Whisk in the remaining sugar till dissolved. Whisk this mixture into the curd. Cover tightly & refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or till well chilled.

Stir in the opt. vodka & Cobasan. Freeze in an ice cream maker. Allow the ice cream to ripen for at least 2 hours before serving. It it has been held longer and is very hard, allow it to sit refrigerated or at room temp. till softened and creamy.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=48879&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD"
Daphne
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by Harborwitch (You do have an ice c...)
No ice cream maker. I don't even have my kithenaide here. I did drag my cuisinart out of storage. No springform pans either. It's kinda like camping. I feel like I am entertaining the queen of England. These people are so kind, generous, and warm hearted. I just don't want to screw up a possible good friendship. They have been so good to me since I moved here.
Theresa

Re: Re: need dessert ideas by chef_Tab (No ice cream maker. ...)
Maybe you can pick up an Cuisinart ice cream maker??? Costco fequently has them - I know I've seen them around 49.00. I'd send you one of mine - but I'm going to try to sneak them both in the MH.

Daphne that ice cream is so amazing. Make it soon!!!!!
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by chef_Tab (No ice cream maker. ...)
The cheesecake and the pie could be done in the Cuisinart.

OPPPS! Never mind. I forgot you said you didn't have your springform pans...Back to the drawing board!
Daphne
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by Gourmet_Mom (The cheesecake and t...)
Got a torch? CRÈME BRÛLÉE is a make ahead. Torching them just before serving would be cool!

I haven't tried it yet, but everyone RAVES about Jean's Pear & Port Reduction. Jean says, "You can use this reduction to drizzle over a fruit platter (I arrange the fruit, drizzle with the reduction and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano), over ice cream, pound cake, hot cakes/waffles....it's fantastic."

Classic Tiramisu? BTW, what are they serving? Do you know? That might make a difference on what you want to make.

Bill and Jane's Sour Cherry Pie is AWESOME! I've got a Chocolate Pie that's the BEST EVER! Oh, wait...no mixer. Can you do meringue by hand?

How about a locally grown fresh berry trifle?

A fruit and cheese platter would be classy.
Daphne
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Got a torch? CRÈME ...)
That port wine reduction is incredible!!!!! Oooooohhhhhh so good.
  Re: Re: need dessert ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Got a torch? CRÈME ...)
Sorry, I don't know what she is serving. I was so overwhelmed with the invitation, I had brain freeze. She asked if there was anything we did not eat, and I was even afraid to mention my thing about eating babies....lamb and veal. I would suck it up for this occasion. Not to mention, they have a dog...easy to sneak anything under the table. I did a C@H search and am considering the chocolate torte from a 2010 issue, maybe April. As I remember, someone made it and loved it. Might have been Barbara? I will have to search some more.
Theresa