Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges
  Re: (...)
with Tomato Relish. Oh my, is this a surprisingly wonderful combination of flavors!! I took pictures, but we ended up with the wrong darn cable thing for the camera....

For the relish:
1/2 cup each: seeded diced red & yellow tomatoes
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved (I rough chopped)
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 T. shallots
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
5 T. extra-virgin oive oil
Salt and balck pepper to taste

For the Salad -
4 slices seedless watermelon wedges, aout 1 1/2" thick (this is the perfect thickness)
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Combine red & yellow tomatoes, olives, and scallions in a bowl.

Whisk together vinegar, shallots, Dijon, and oil in a small bowl until emulsified. Season with salt & pepper. Pour vinaigrette over tomato mixture, stir to combine and set aside.

Grill watermelon and shrimp until melon is marked and shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes per side. (this was perfect timing on this grill) Remove from grill. And don't allow the melon to stay on the grill any longer than just marking or it will get mushy. The 1 1/2" slices kept it nice and crisp on the inside)

Place a watermelon wedge on each of 4 plates. Top each wedge with 4 shrimp and tomato relish.

---

I'm thinking there is so much liquid in this 'relish' that next time I will half the vinegar & olive oil. Even tho I used some to marinate the shrimp in for a few minutes, there was still a lot of liqud - that wasn't needed.

Also, I grilled red potato halves that I tossed in some of the relish 'goop' and then grilled - great flavor. forgot, I did brush a little of the vinaigrette on the watermelon wedges before putting them on HIGH burners of the grill.

Overall everyone gave a big 10!! I reserved my 10 and gave it a 9 1/2+. The flavors when you get everything in each bite is just wonderful!! And, it's such a pretty presentation, I wish I could post the pix.

Good start for the new issue!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by cjs (with Tomato Relish. ...)
Sounds really great Jean. I can't wait to see this new issue! Bummer about the camera thing. Man I have been there before too!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by luvnit (Sounds really great ...)
Jean, I'm hoping when you get home you'll post a picture! I've been playing with the idea of trying something like this with watermelon but having grown up in the South literally surrounded by family and neighbors who raised watermelon, this has been a big leap of faith for me. William's going to balk, but I'm going to give this one a try just as soon as I can get my hands on some shrimp. The watermelon will be a cinch!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I'm hoping whe...)
I sure will, Daphne - the flavors of this are so interesting and different. Do you think William would be more easy about it if you tried the dish for a weekend lunch maybe?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by cjs (I sure will, Daphne ...)
There's an idea! But I'm going to run it by him first.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by Gourmet_Mom (There's an idea! Bu...)
Here's the picture of the Watermelon dish - Daphne, you probably have the magazine by now, but....

[Image: GrilledWatermelon.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by cjs (Here's the picture o...)
Your picture is better! It looks yummy!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by Gourmet_Mom (Your picture is bett...)
You have yours? Mine wasn't here when we got home yesterday!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by cjs (You have yours? Mine...)
Yes, and I love it! I'll probably fix at least half the recipes in the next week or two!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Issue #82 - Grilled Shrimp & Watermelon Wedges by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, and I love it! ...)
The watermelon and shrimp look delicious, and your photo is beautiful, Jean.

My copy still hasn't arrived, but neither has the mail, so there's still hope for today!