Sausage making questions
  Re: (...)
This winter I stuffed the freezer with a bunch of pork jowls - the thought being that we would cure them and hang them. Well that didn't work out.

I'm going to cure some and smoke them, then I can slice and freeze (take up less room in the freezer).

My question is: I also still have a lot of venison in the freezer and I'm thinking of thawing it out, along with more of the pork jowls, and grinding it all up and making sausage, smoking the sausage, and then freezing it. Again, smaller, neater packages for the little freezer. Jean do you think this will work???? The jowls are really fatty so I'm thinking that might be better than buying more pork & fat.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Sausage making questions by Harborwitch (This winter I stuffe...)
Heck yes, go for it - you can't imagine what I find in the bowels of my freezer these days and with a little seasoning and smoke...deicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sausage making questions by cjs (Heck yes, go for it ...)
Thanks - I'm not sure how I'll live without the freezer or the pantry! So used to always being prepared and well stocked.
  Re: Re: Sausage making questions by Harborwitch (Thanks - I'm not sur...)
Don't worry Sharon! Like you said, you did it once, you'll do it again!

Hey, you got a generous friend that'd let you buy them a freezer? That's an option. You know...this has given me an idea. With so many people downsizing, there's bound to be lots of people who would pay to have a storage section of a freezer....You know...like a giant safe deposit vault, but with bins for people's stuff?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sausage making questions by Gourmet_Mom (Don't worry Sharon! ...)
I offered it to oldest daughter - but she turned me down. Youngest daughter doesn't have room for it. So we'll keep it for when we come back - we'll need it then.
  Re: Re: Sausage making questions by Harborwitch (I offered it to olde...)
Sharon, in our travels and talking to other RVers, a lot of folks with rigs like you got have found room for under the counter freezers that they somehow find room to put in their RVs. Some have put them in their closets. Just a thought.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sausage making questions by cjs (Sharon, in our trave...)
Yeah - I've seen that, A lot of them also just set them alongside the rig - under the awning. We may still look for a washer/dryer combo to stuff in a closet - just have to see.