Father's Day's Coming!
  Re: (...)
I'm sorry to bring this up in front of Erin (sorry, Sweetie!!), but it'll be here Sunday - what's everyone up to?

Gert's getting antsy, so we'll be taking off for Medford...only thing I know we'll be having is Flan - a whiny request.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Father's Day's Coming! by cjs (I'm sorry to bring t...)
"a whiny request." It IS his day, ya' know!

We're heading up to the mountains to see youngest son. We'll have a grill available, but that's about it. I'm still planning. We'll be driving home on Father's Day and hitting every fruit and veggie stand between here and there. Not exactly "HIS" kind of day, but hey....Mother's Day won't too swift for me. I'll do something special for him NEXT Sunday, like Blue Cheese Bacon Burgers with Blue Cheese Slaw and Sweet Potato Fries!

Although...I could pull this off Saturday when visiting YS....HMMMMMM? If I made the dressing and slaw separate...I'll have to think about this. I promised to take YS a cheesecake, so we'll have the cooler anyway. And we could pick up some peaches on the way up, have the mix for Cream Cheese Ice Cream mixed in a sealed container...This is turning into a GREAT plan. Now to sell the boys on it! YS LOVES Peach Ice Cream!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by Gourmet_Mom ("a whiny request." I...)
" but hey....Mother's Day won't too swift for me." - well, then turn about is certainly in order!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by cjs (" but hey....Mother'...)
Ignoring the day. We sent a care package to Qatar with cookies last week. Hope it gets there soon. No idea how the cookies will be, but I sealed them in foodsaver bags. It is the thought right???

My dad passed away 15 years ago. Maybe I'll make something lemon for my father in law. It is his favorite.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by esgunn ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
oh, Erin, I feel for you. I hate separation. My mom sent my brothers cookies when they were in Viet Nam.....yes, all those years ago......and they appreciated them so much. Sometimes they were cookie chunks, but apparantly they still tasted wonderful to them. I would guess the delivery system has improved somewhat. So Steve should have a terrific surprise!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by chef_Tab (oh, Erin, I feel for...)
Erin, it must be so hard, but from what you've told of your in-laws, I think that would be a nice substitution. And I think Steve would approve. He can't be there for his dad, but you can. Great idea.

As for the cookies, I agree with Theresa, he'll appreciate the thought, no matter WHAT condition they're in. He'll know his babies had a hand in making them and that's all that counts. You guys spent the day baking them and thinking of Daddy. Isn't that what Father's Day is about? Shoot, now I'm going to cry!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, it must be so ...)
I like your plan for making something for your FIL, Erin. The kids would like to be celebrating with him that day.

I leave for my annual mission to Appalachia on Saturday, so our two youngest children are in charge of taking care of Dad that day. Who knows what that will be!!!
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by HomeCulinarian (I like your plan for...)
We will be going to my daughter's home for brunch. The three fathers that will be there all would eat bacon for every meal if they could, so I'm bringing a recipe I found on a food blog for bacon smothered with brown sugar and then baked -- double recipe! My son-in-law's mother told me about bacon-flavored vodka for bloody marys. Not sure we'll be having that! Anyway, we SHOULD have vegetarian for a week afterwards to recover!
Ann
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by rperry (We will be going to ...)
We love bacon baked like this too! If you have some Dads who love spicier, we also sprinkle just a hint of cayenne on the bacon also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Father's Day's Coming! by cjs (We love bacon baked ...)
That sounds good -- I'll try cayenne on one of the batches. Thanks for the idea.
Ann