Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza
  Re: (...)
Just saw this on the El Gourmet channel's grilling show, and immediately thought that this group, with your love of flank steak AND love of pizza AND love of grilling would find it interesting. It's a Flank-Steak Pizza from Argentina, but it's NOT a regular pizza with flank steak on it. Instead, it's a "pizza" using veal flank steak in place of the crust!

Matambre a la Pizza (Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza)

Ingredients:
  • 6 Onions, peeled
  • 2 Veal flank steaks (whole - each one was about 3 feet long)
  • 7 Oz. Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
  • 6 Sprigs Fresh oregano, leaves stripped and chopped
  • 7 Tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 6 Sprigs Basil, leaves stripped
  • Black pepper: To taste
  • 1 3/4 Oz. Sea salt (divided)
  • 10 1/2 Oz. Bocconcini mozzarella
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
  2. Wrap the onions in foil.
  3. Cook on the grill for about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
  4. Once the onions are tender, remove then from the grill and remove the foil.
  5. Coarsely chop the grilled onions.
  6. Cook the veal flank steaks on the grill, with the fat side down and season with salt.
  7. Turn over the flank steaks and season with salt.
  8. Cover one flank steak with provolone cheese slices.
  9. Sprinkle with fresh oregano leaves.
  10. Toss the stripped oregano sprigs into the coals to let the smoke enhance the flavour.
  11. Add the grilled onions.
  12. Cover the other flank steak with tomato slices.
  13. Add the Mozzarella.
  14. Sprinkle with basil leaves.
  15. Toss the stripped basil sprigs into the coals to let the smoke enhance the flavour.
  16. Season with black pepper.
  17. Grill until meat is done and cheese has melted.
  18. Present on wooden planks.

Please note changes above.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by labradors (Just saw this on the...)
HELLO!!! Doesn't that sound fun! Thanks Labs, copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by cjs (HELLO!!! Doesn't tha...)
How did I know Jean would be one of the first to respond. LOL!
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by labradors (How did I know Jean ...)
OMG! That's on next weeks menu...this week is filled up! Thanks, Labs! Thank goodness I have ONE more flank steak left!

WAIT A MINUTE! I just realized it's VEAL...OIY. We've not gone there yet, nor is it available. Don't you think it would work on a regular flank, just tenderized a bit? I hope somebody says yes, 'cause William would LOVE this!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (OMG! That's on next...)
Not sure. Regular flank steak is tougher, which is why it's usually braised, not grilled.

When researching this (while doing the translation), I found that the Costco website had veal flank steaks, so maybe if you have a Costco nearby you could find it.
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by labradors (Not sure. Regular f...)
Okay, when you figure in that I just found veal flank steak (3 pounds) for $59.99 at Costco and that we've never had veal, nor had a desire to try it, this is a no go for me. UNLESS, I can think of a more cost effective alternative.

I'd really love to try this and think it would be possible (psychologically) for me to consider, even though I have had an aversion to trying veal. But the cost is WAY over my budget! Any ideas?

This gets worse...I just described the recipe to William (minus the veal part) and he got all excited. Then I dropped the veal line. He was still excited. Then I quoted the price for the veal, and he walked away shaking his head with a grimace on his face. I've devastated the man. SOMEBODY needs to come up with an alternative.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, when you figur...)
I don't eat veal......basically, I don't eat babies. I always substitute pork for veal. Maybe you could try that.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by chef_Tab (I don't eat veal.......)
You know, I DO have an extra pork tenderloin in the freezer. Maybe if I do the "Z" factor on it to lay it out thin and flat? This may work! Thanks for the idea Theresa!

BTW, do you eat lamb, Theresa? I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not being judgmental. I'm just curious and ignorant of certain facts. Isn't that the same thing? Or have I had too much wine for this conversation?

Plus, it would be nice to know another veal/lamb novice on the board. Uh...novice isn't the right word, but it's the best I can do. Hey...I'm on vacation!!!!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by labradors (Not sure. Regular f...)
As I was cooking dinner, this episode came on again, so I paid closer attention, this time, and have adjusted the recipe, above, to reflect what he actually did and said. I marked the changes with underlines.

One other note: although the recipe on the El Gourmet website says veal flank steak, I didn't hear him say that in the show. The flanks he used were each as long as his entire arm (i.e. about three feet), so maybe that could be a clue as to whether they were really from veal or not (I have no idea).
  Re: Re: Argentine Flank-Steak Pizza by chef_Tab (I don't eat veal.......)
Quote:

I don't eat veal......basically, I don't eat babies.

Hmmmm... Baby corn ears?