Saturday's Dinner - 6/12??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu?

I'm using the leftover Thai dressing on the Thai Salad that is in the same issue (#2) of the C@H magazine. I could dip crackers in the dressing.

Also, I'm going to make some wonton wrappers today - didn't we talk about this a little while back????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by cjs (What's on the menu?[...)
Going up to my folks for the night. My sister and I are planning a little cookout for an early father's day dinner... wings, sliders, slaw, lemon bars for dessert. Beers on the deck.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by HomeCulinarian (Going up to my folks...)
Okay, I've finally decided! I wanted to pick my menu from the cookbook of the month, so I've had to spend some time browsing various cookbooks. This is from Food & Wine 2006, BLT Burgers with Garlicky Mayonnaise. The flavor of these burgers is enhanced with bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, a chipotle chile and garlic. Wish me luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I've finally d...)
Well for us here it's been grueling. Not all of you may know, but Derek works for the CHP (Calif Hwy Patrol) and he's the motorcycle sgt.

Yesterday one of his motor units was in a pursuit and crashed and was killed. Derek was immediately on scene and it was awful.

So it's very somber. I did make a batch of turkey soup last night. A few of the officers have been coming by to talk and want to make they have comfort food. They all say they're not hungry when asked if the want a bite to eat, but when you slip a warm mug of soup in the hand they all wolf it down.

Sorry to be such a downer.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by DFen911 (Well for us here it'...)
Oh my, my worst nightmare!! My son is also a motorcyccle CHP........... My prayers and tears are with his family - his whole family which includes all the CHPs. darn. Please give Derek an extra hug from Roy and me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by cjs (Oh my, my worst nigh...)
Oh, Denise! I'm so choked up, I don't know what to say. Please tell Derek that the "whole family" is in our thoughts and prayers as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Denise! I'm so ...)
It's always so sad when any law enforcement officer losses his/her life while protecting the lives of others.

My prayers are with you and your family and that officer's family and friends.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by DFen911 (Well for us here it'...)
Oh Denise! My thoughts and prayers are with you all. My Nephew is a Washington State Patrol officer - it's always a worry. They all put their lives on the line for us every day.

We're smoking ribs today, making a lemon rhubarb bundt cake, and smoking some mac & cheese. Not sure on a veg yet.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by Harborwitch (Oh Denise! My thoug...)
Denise, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Quote:

lemon bars for dessert.

I've love to see that recipe!

He smoked ribs yesterday for a catering event, and made sure that he grilled enough for us. So it's ribs, potato salad, and a green salad for me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 6/12?? by Lorraine (Denise, I'm so sorry...)
Denise, I am so sorry. It's always so difficult when someone who dedicates their life to making their community a better place to live dies in the line of duty. Derek and his fellow officers are in my prayers.