Tuesday Dinner, June 8th??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for tonight??

We HAVE to go out to dinner, sigh.... For my birthday, the bartender from our favorite spot to stop for a quick dinner, stopped by with a bottle of wine and a painted wine glass. So, I'm carrying around a thank you card and I have no address for her, yadda, yadda, anyway we'll go there for dinner tonight.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Sounds like fun, have a great time, Jean.

Dinner tonight will be zucchini cakes with walnut pesto sauce. Yummeee! Of course, Ron will require some meat with his meal, so will warm up some smoked pork for him.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by Mare749 (Sounds like fun, hav...)
I have lots of potatoes to use soon. Some are sweet potatoes and the others are yukon golds. My next few days menues will revolve around that. Tonight will be a roasted chicken with mashed yukon golds.
If anyone has a favorite potato pancake recipe, I would love to try it!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by chef_Tab (I have lots of potat...)
Grilled chicken with spinach pesto, maybe with orzo?
Theresa, I've got a Latke recipe somewhere, I'll look
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by farnfam (Grilled chicken with...)
Cis....hand over that spinach pesto recipe will ya?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by Bizymomma (Cis....hand over tha...)
We're going Asian tonight. I'm going to grill some pork tenderloins with a Hoisin glaze. (Now to find the recipe we liked so well.) I'll serve fried rice alongside. My recipe has peas in it, so that will serve as my green...unless I decide to do something with that half head of cabbage. I'm wondering...you know how you can grill lettuce? I wonder if it would work with cabbage? A little olive oil, salt, and pepper?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by Gourmet_Mom (We're going Asian to...)
Daphne,......I love grilled Romaine! I would go for the cabbage thing. I'm curious to see how that comes out! Sounds delish!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by Bizymomma (Daphne,......I love ...)
I think Angela was one of the first ones on here a number of years ago to do the grilled lettuce.

Theresa, here is the best Rosti recipe in the world!! bar none.

I'm posting it with all the notes from a thread on C2C years ago -
ROSTI - FLORIAN'S

Thanks everyone, BJcotton did the job of getting me back here.

I know I don't come and visit often enough!

roesti are really easy to make. We use them instead of ash brown for our Sunday brunch.

Par-boil your potatoes (idaho baker will work just fine) with the skin on.
Grate them through a big box grater (the side with the larger holes)
Dice about 1 yellow onion and 4 strips of thick cut applewood smoked bacon (or another good bacon) for every 4 potatoes.
Saute the bacon and the onion. Add them to your potatoes, season.
Use some of the bacon fat or lard to cook the roesti. A non-stick pan works great for that (I know it's more authentic with a skillet ).

Give it a good color, then filp it. Use a plate the size of your pan to help you.

Give color on the other side. An serve hot.

A fun thing to do with roesti is to use then as a base to make a pizza alike!
Put topping on them and bake them for a couple of minutes.
I used to serve Roesti "Margarita" topped with buffalo mozzarella, vine ripe tomato and fresh basil, Yummy

Have fun!

harbourchef : Here is a variation using Florian's recipe. Simply lay down half your potatoes in the skillet then a layer of roasted red pepper then the second half of the potatoes. I do this in a large skillet (12") then cut it into wedges so you have a red strip down the center of each piece.

Geez My Omas recipes have been used twice this morning...

She makes her german cakes this way:
6 lg. potatoes
1/2 c. chopped onions
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
5 slices bacon, diced

Peel and shred potatoes, add remaining ingredients, mix well. Pour into greased 9 x 12 " pan. Bake covered, in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover, bake 30 minutes longer.
OR another way of making them...

I sautee the onions bacon and spices with a lot of butter... add that to the rest of the ingrediants and make individual cakes.

foodpump : A real Swiss Roesti is made with "Gschwelti" or boiled potatoes, boiled just until the center is cooked, left to rest with the skins on, and then when cold, shredded. Best made in an iron or steel pan, the thicker the better. "Berner Roesti" is made with bacon cubes, and you can get very creative with toppings like Swiss Emmenthaler, Gruyere, Appenzeller cheeses, bacon, ham, fried eggs, etc.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by cjs (I think Angela was o...)
Now THAT is a dangerous post! I may have to play with that for a brunch this summer....MMMMMMMM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, June 8th?? by Gourmet_Mom (Now THAT is a danger...)
Here's what I used Ang,

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada...cipe/index.html
Cis
Empress for Life