Book reviews
  Re: (...)
"My Bread" by Jim Lahey. It's interesting to read about his background, but I didn't find the rest of the book that helpful. Most of us have already tried variations on his "no-knead" recipe.

"The Recipe Club"--only read about the first 20 pages and got bored, so can't really say if the story line improved. If anyone else reads this and thinks it's worth sticking it out, I'll try it again.

"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day"---just got this yesterday, started reading it last night and love it! This is an interesting method for bread baking and the book has some great sounding recipes. Definately worth reading if you like to bake your bread regularly.

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five...7483&sr=8-1
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Book reviews by Mare749 ("My Bread" by Jim La...)
I have the recipe club and will start that in a couple of days
  Re: Re: Book reviews by DFen911 (I have the recipe cl...)
"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" I've heard a lot of good things about this one. I've seen where several bloggers have blogged their way through the book...all with rave reviews. I may have to get that one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Book reviews by Gourmet_Mom ("Artisan Bread in Fi...)
"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" OOO, Maryann, OOOO, Daph, you HAD to make me look. OMG now what will become of me.....good bye bathing suit, hello carbs...DAMMMNT
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Book reviews by farnfam ("Artisan Bread in Fi...)
I've got so many bread books now, I'll never get thru them before I'm out to pasture.

"The Recipe Club" was on my list, but since I have such a backlog of things to read, I'll skip this one. Thanks Maryann.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Book reviews by Mare749 ("My Bread" by Jim La...)
I read The Recipe Club. It was a quick read, I managed it in 2 days reading only at my breaks and at traffic lights. It was light reading. Not a great book by any means but kept me entertained waiting for the delivery trucks to unload.

SPOILER ANNOUNCEMENT (but it looks like nobody cares, so I'll go ahead)

In the end, the two girls find out they're actually sisters. One's father had an affair with the other one's mother.

Like I said, not a book I'd buy, but it was a fast, semi amusing read. Recipes are basic, but who can pass up a book with recipes, on the chance there might be something good??

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 2.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Book reviews by cjs (I've got so many bre...)
The wonderful thing about Artisan in Five, is that you can make whatever size loaves you want, so you don't have to have huge one and then eat it out of guilt. Really versatile. I have also left the dough in the fridge past 14 days and it was even better. Always save a little from one batch to add to the next. There are healthier loaves in there as well (there is another one out with healthy bread recipes, but I've not read it)My favorite way to bake it is in an oval 3.5 qt LC pan. I use high-tempt parchment as a sling and don't really have to clean the pot. I can't remember if I posted my tips or not, so if anyone wants them after they try it, please let me know.
  Re: Re: Book reviews by Cubangirl (The wonderful thing ...)
"My Bread" arrived yesterday. Went through it quickly in the car, and can't wait to make several of the recipes.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Book reviews by Lorraine ("My Bread" arrived y...)
Oh, I'm glad you like it Lorraine. It is a good book. I just liked the other one a bit more.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."