Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner
  Re: (...)
I used to make these a lot when all the kids were home - they all loved crab so and 1 can or whatever crab we had left from catching at Bodega Bay would feed the whole family.

I've been making these lately for our brunch with a little bubbly and we still love them. Maybe a new idea for someone? or a reminder to those who do make these.

[Image: CrabMelt2June6.jpg]

Crab Melts
For 4 servings

Make a bechamel sauce:
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
2 cups milk

Melt butter in a saucepan; add the flour and with a whisk, continuously
whisk the butter and flour over medium heat for 1 minute (this will get rid of the floury taste). Slowly add the milk and continue whisking until beginning to thicken.

Add one or two cans of crabmeat or approx. 1 1/2 cups of crabmeat; turn the heat to low and continue cooking just until all is heated through.

Toast 4 English muffins and put 2 halves on each plate; top with the crab mixture and grate a little cheddar cheese over the top.

Also good is if you have a little breakfast or other lightly spiced sausage, crumble it up and add to the crab mixture to heat through.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner by cjs (I used to make these...)
Oh Jean I love crab melts! Those look so good. There's another reason to head back to the coast - good crab!!! Out here it's the fake crab or pay through the nose for questionable stuff in a tub.

When our friends used to own a restaurant in Isleton my favorite lunch there was the crawdad melt - lots of crawdad tails on toasted sourdough with jack cheese! Mmmmmmmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner by cjs (I used to make these...)
Jean, my mom used to make those. She'd also make them with tuna. And I have a version that uses canned salmon and asparagus.

Thanks for the reminder. I have never served those to the kids.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner by esgunn (Jean, my mom used t...)
I absolutely love crab. I think it is my favorite food. I will have to try these.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner by Vanquisher (I absolutely love cr...)
Sounds good to me! Anything with Crab AND Bechamel....YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Easy, Easy Brunch or Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good to me! ...)
He'd be liking that! He loves crab, and I have a block of gruyere. Thanks, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.