8-Layer Lasagna Review
  Re: (...)
I love this recipe but have had trouble making it work out with the whole '8-layer' thing and the actual layering amounts etc.

I will make notes myself in the recipe and will definitely make fewer layers. Perhaps just one less. This is what I would recommend for myself for the future. Double the amount of sauces in the layers. Parboil pasta for 2 minutes, not one. Forget the boursin cheese and just use cream cheese (adjust seasonings to compensate) - Boursin is too expensive and once it is melted, you are really just adding the richness and flavor.

If you buy the presliced fresh mozzarella, you are going to use 1 1/2 lbs. That's just how it works out when layering.

[Image: DSC02930.jpg]

More of this review to come later on...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by luvnit (I love this recipe b...)
lookin' good so far....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by luvnit (I love this recipe b...)
Oh Laura,

My oldest sister loved this recipe so much, she wrote me a note - an "Ode to Lasagna", if you will - and left it in the cleaned pan I brought home in the shopping bag. I didn't discover the note until I got home and cried a bit. Her penmanship is extraordinary! I saved the note. I just might have to frame it.

She'll be back here in a few weeks and I will definitely make her and her hubby another. That will satisfy my folks as well. They live in Scotland and lasagna is not "made" over there. At least not even to standards that have more than one layer.

I've been doubling, almost tripling the Bechamel sauce recipe. I haven't had to increase the meat sauce recipe, but the Boursin really makes the sauce.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by BarbaraS (Oh Laura,[br][br]My ...)
Laura, you may want to add to your notes on how to make your own Boursin. Sharon posted how to do it on another thread. If you have problems finding it, let me know. That's what I did, because I couldn't find the Boursin.

It definitely looks good! I LOVED this recipe. I think this might be what I make when BG comes for a visit soon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh, but what I left out!

I bought a Mario Batali Lasagna pan which is 3 1/2" deep to accommodate the layers. Problem is, the ready-bake pasta sheets don't truly cover the dimensions.

On a side note, my late Aunt used to use the regular curly-edged pasta sheets par-boiled with the same results as these "new-day" ready-bake sheets, and her lasagna was the Gold standard in my family. In fact, my father cannot begrudge me a "Thank you" for making this recipe, because it was his sister that made the 'Sagna. And he hates everything nowadays.

So when I assemble the lasagna, there are gaps which I fill with leftover meat sauce or sauce that spills out from smoothing the layers.

If I've made it one day in advance, the pasta sheets swell a bit and cooking just blends it almost practically together. I tried cross-layering the sheets. Nah, don't try this. It did not work out.

But this next time, I'm going to an Italian restaurant that sells pre-made pasta sheets to see if I can cover the gaps a bit. And in doing so, I may need to make more meat sauce. (I cheat, I use a pre-made sauce and add the meat to it)

I need to take a pic of my sister's note. I will frame it, I've decided.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Quote:

Oh Laura,

I've been doubling, almost tripling the Bechamel sauce recipe. I haven't had to increase the meat sauce recipe, but the Boursin really makes the sauce.

Barbara

I didn't double the recipe for the sauce or the meat, just doubled what I put on each layer. There was enough, but I could've used just a bit more bechamel. I would go ahead and adjust it to make 4 cups in future recipes. Glad you reminded me.

I actually had 5 layers of sauce, but if you include the layer of pasta on the bottom it would be 7 layers of pasta. Not exactly sure how they calculate the '8-layers'. You all must have taller pans than I do.

It's out of the oven now.

[Image: DSC02931.jpg]

It just barely fit...

[Image: DSC02932.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh yeah!! Looking Yummy!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by BarbaraS (Oh yeah!! Looking Y...)
Oh, dear! BG needs to come home SOON!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by BarbaraS (Oh, but what I left ...)
Quote:

But this next time, I'm going to an Italian restaurant that sells pre-made pasta sheets...

Sysco.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: 8-Layer Lasagna Review by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Laural that looks so good! I'm going to have to make it again - it's been way too long.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!