Scaling Bread Dough
  Re: (...)
Lets say I made up a batch of bread dough and I want to weigh it out. How many ounces of dough would I weigh for these types of breads:

French Bread

Italian Bread

Sub rolls (large and small)

Dinner Rolls

Pan Bread

Kaiser Roll
  Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Barbarainnc (Lets say I made up a...)
I weigh out dinner rolls at 3 oz., bigger rolls (kaiser, hot dog, hamburger) somewhere between 4 and 6oz. A regular loaf of bread usually weighs about a pound/pound and a half.

That's just me. I'm sure others will be along with much more info for you.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Harborwitch (I weigh out dinner r...)
I make hot dog/burger rolls about 3 oz. each. Some dinner rolls I make about 4 oz.

Since there are two of us, I like to make small loaves - 8 to 10 oz.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Barbarainnc (Lets say I made up a...)
I do dinner rolls at 2.1-just works out that way for me, and they're plenty big. Hamburger rolls around 3.5. Bread, around 12 oz. Help any?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by pjcooks (I do dinner rolls at...)
Mine are about the same. The last time I did rolls, I used the 2 or 2.5 oz. size and was much happier with the size. French bread, I think is around a pound and loaf bread is about 10 oz. I originally made my hot dog and hamburger buns larger, but on advice from Sharon and Jean, I scaled it back to 3 oz.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Gourmet_Mom (Mine are about the s...)
Funny, we're all really close to the same size. I think it might be a "sight" thing. But I do weigh each piece of dough, just to be sure.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Harborwitch (Funny, we're all rea...)
It's funny you mention the sight thing. The last time I made buns, I nailed it almost every time....LOL! And the last few times I've done loaves, I almost didn't weight them. To think how far I've come with bread making! I never would have believed it a few years ago!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Gourmet_Mom (It's funny you menti...)
good feeling, huh Daphne?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by cjs (good feeling, huh Da...)
Euphoric! I LOVE it! Working with the pizza dough this past weekend, I remembered. It's been too long~

It's funny, you really DO develop a passion for the dough. (And a fele for it). I will probably make some this weekend, if only a batch of popcorn bread or basic French. I'll play with the othhers this summer.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Scaling Bread Dough by Gourmet_Mom (Euphoric! I LOVE it...)
Exactly, Daphne. I still throw it on the scale, but I'm almost always right, by sight. And I can just touch my bread dough in the machine to know exactly where I am at the moment. It's something you can't describe, it's just a feeling.

PJ
PJ