Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread
  Re: (...)
My new landlord is Iranian. One morning, he asked for my help with his computer, and he was eating some kind of flatbread and drinking tea when I got there. He offered me a sample of the bread, and it was delicious. It turns out that that kind of bread - Nan-e Barbari - and tea (and, sometimes, feta cheese) are the traditional breakfast in Iran.

After a bit of research, I decided to try two recipes to see how they would do. This web page and this video. Since the video made a MUCH greater quantity, but wasn't too big a difference in the recipe, I tried the web-page recipe today, and shall try the video recipe later.

That recipe worked out very well, but the big test came when I called my landlord and told him I had a surprise for him. When he came over and I handed him a piece of the bread, his eyes lit up as a kid's at Christmas time! He said the taste and the texture were great and suggested I consider selling the bread locally. In addition, the sample of the bread that he had originally given me was something he had brought back from a recent trip to the States and there isn't any local source where he can get it, either, so maybe I'll be able to count him as a customer.

Even with such a great review from someone who knows Nan-e Barbari, I'll still be trying the other recipe. In fact, it could be even better, if I wind up needing to make a large batch.

This is also going to lead to another experiment, since my landlord also suggested I try making lavash.

Pretty cool!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by labradors (My new landlord is I...)
Thanks for sharing this I will be trying it - maybe tomorrow to go with a Middle-Eastern dinner.

Good luck with this if it becomes a new endeavor!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by Harborwitch (Thanks for sharing t...)
That's really cool, Labs! Maybe I need to add "trying new bread recipes" to my summer projects list! (Not to mention that you had me at Feta!) Do you think this would work on the grill? I'm determined to make that work! I miss making bread in the summer, due to heating up the house. PLUS, I've yet to try any flat breads.

Those of you that have tried pita....do you think that would work on the grill, too?

BTW, it's funny, I get so used to our signature lines, I forget to check to see if some of you change it. I just noticed yours has changed, Labs. I must say, I LOVE IT! I'm going to remember that one!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by Gourmet_Mom (That's really cool, ...)
Daphne, I have grilled flatbreads before and they are quite good (that "grilled taste" is a wonderful thing, plus you don't have to heat up the kitchen). The only caution is that you cannot multitask at all while they are on the grill-- you must give the little breads your undivided attention.

Labs, thanks for the recipe. Some day I shall be motivated enough to give it a try!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by Gourmet_Mom (That's really cool, ...)
Thanks.

Be sure to watch THIS video, as well. It shows a tape of a LOT of Barbari being made.

Daphne, I don't know how this would do on a grill, but I would probably be great in a tandoor.

P.S.: Actually, I was just thinking of changing my signature line, since it has been quite a while since I last changed it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by labradors (Thanks.[br][br]Be su...)
"P.S.: Actually, I was just thinking of changing my signature line, since it has been quite a while since I last changed it." Now that's sad...I hadn't even noticed you'd changed it! Of course, Theresa keeps forgetting when it's time for me to think AND she gave me the excuse of "end of the year burn out", so I guess I can forgive myself...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by Gourmet_Mom ("P.S.: Actually, I w...)
Labs

This looks very interesting - I looked at all three items and

hope to try this soon.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Nan-e Barbari: Iranian flatbread by mjkcooking (Labs [br][br]This l...)
Oh Labs, another mission for you!! I think you were making pizzas when I first met you long time ago, weren't you?

I spent so long this a.m. reading yesterday's posts, that now I have to wait until tomorrow a.m. to read and look thru all the links for this bread. BUT, sounds like something I'll be trying next week.

If this is half as good as Paulie's Nan, I'm going to love it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com