Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs?
  Re: (...)
Now that it's grillin' and smoking time, what kinds/brand of sauce do you use for what? And how about that "Love Rub"?

I've made a couple BBQ sauce recipes from this board, and they were awesome! - just a ton of ingredients! I do belive it was the Kansas City BBQ sauce and one with Bourbon in it. Delish!

Commercially, I love Bone Sucking Sauce - little heat, some small chunks of onion, I think, I keep tasting to figure it out, trust me. But here locally at the Whole Foods there's a brand called Funnibonez that's made in Lancaster, PA. It's all organic (except for the Liquid Smoke in the ingredients, huh?) and pretty thick and basically sweet, which the hubby loves.

I need to use those rubs my Secret Santa, Lorraine, sent me. But as we tasted them today for the one rack of baby backs, the Hubby said, "Too spicy and strong.". Crap!! If double and triple dipping a wet finger was a crime... Okay, some other piece of meat for me and not him. So I use Stubs' Rub. Not too spicy or hot for him.

Pics of your smokers would be cool, too...

Happy Memorial Day everyone!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by BarbaraS (Now that it's grilli...)
I didn't smoke this weekend, but am planning to do some bacon and chuck in the next few weeks, so I don't have any pics for you. I use an old Weber Smokey Mountain. I keep eyeing the BGE, but just haven't been able to justify the cost.

I really like the rubs I get from Texs BBQ Rub, both the regular and the brisket blend. I still make my own rubs on occasion, but these are the ones I use when I don't plan ahead as well as I should.
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by karyn (I didn't smoke this ...)
Oh Barbara, what a fun thread this will be...but, I've just had too much of the Vicki's Mermaid Martinis and I'm not in any shape to get into this now. But, tomorrow, oh boy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by cjs (Oh Barbara, what a f...)

This is a great idea for a thread....especially this time of the year. Maybe deserving of a sticky for the summer?

As far as rubs go, I had never used dry rubs until coming on here. It's just not something I grew up with. Now I do! For pork and beef, I use a rub I got from Sharon, long ago. For the life of me, I couldn't find the original recipe. I think it was part of a rib recipe. ANYWAY, here is that recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

BBQ rub

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons celery seed
4 tablespoons garlic powder
4 tablespoons onion powder
5 1/4 tablespoons chili powder
5 1/4 tablespoons black pepper
5 1/4 tablespoons paprika

Mix ingredients well.

Coat meat with a thick layer of rub and allow to sit 1 or 2 hours before putting on grill.

Description:
"I used this on a Corned Beef Brisket and it was very good!"

For chicken, I use one I found in "Sizzle", a special publication I picked up that included recipes from a number of different famous Chefs. It was part of a beer can chicken recipe from Elizabeth Karmel, "Taming the Flame", a grilling cookbook. As much as I LOVE this on chicken, I didn't care for it on pork the one time I tried it.

Classic Barbeque Rub

Recipe By :
Categories : Sides and Sauces

2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon oregano -- crushed

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. For a smoother rub, process the ingredients in a spice grinder until well combined and all pieces uniform (the rub will be very fine and tan in color).

Use it to rub on meat before grilling. Extra rub can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months. Makes about 1 cup.

I make large batches of these now and store them in the large size emptied spice containers. This reminds me...I'm out of both.

As for sauce, I use commercial Sugar Ray's, Chicken and Ribs, or Carolina Treat (vinegar base). As for homemade, there are two from C@H I've used and liked, but couldn't find them in MC right now. One had beer in it, I remember. I also have my dad's, if you're interested in a vinegar base. It's the one he always used for mopping his pigs and Boston Butt for catering. I don't have it in MC, but I could type it up later. Let me know.

When I'm doing beef, I use one from Lorraine:

Lorriane's Beef Short Ribs

Recipe By :Lorraine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

4 lbs beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 heads garlic
2 carrots -- coarsely chopped
1 large onion -- coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chipotle chile canned in adobo -- or to taste
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 cups beef stock -- or chicken or water

And another from C@H for Beef ribs that's for the slow cooker, but I intend to try on the grill this summer:

Laquered Short Ribs with spicy ginger sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

For the short ribs-
3 lb beef short ribs -- trimmed and seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper
1 Tb vegetable oil
For the spicy ginger sauce-
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup ginger root -- minced
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup shriracha sauce
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp fennel seed
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Brown ribs in oil in large saute pan over med-high heat for 10 mins, working in batches if necessary.

Transfer browned ribs to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.

Combine scallions,gingerroot, brown sugar, vinegar, sriracha sauce, molasses, hoisin sauce, lime juice, fennel seed, and pepper flakes for the spicy ginger sauce in a measuring cup with a pour spout. Pour sauce over ribs.

Cover; cook until ribs are tender on high-heat setting for 4-6 hours or on low-heat setting for 7-9 hours. Serve sauce over ribs and rice.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Slow Cooker Menus; page 63"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by Gourmet_Mom ([br]This is a great ...)
Barbara, I'm sorry he found them too hot and strong. I should have put a note in saying that's how he likes his rubs. Perhaps you can find someone who likes hot stuff.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by Lorraine (Barbara, I'm sorry h...)
Oh, Lorraine, no worries!! He doesn't tolerate spice and heat like I can. He grew up on a very bland diet with a mom that was less than spectacular, shall we say, in the kitchen.

I know I've mentioned this before but this will give you an idea - he never had real garlic until he met me. Seriously. He thought garlic had a last name, SALT, and came conveniently granualized in bottles.

I love those rubs you sent me and will be using them this summer!! I kept dipping my finger in both to decide which one I wanted to try first. I really like "Gil's Southwest Rub", but that "Cajun Rub" is exciting, too!! Thanks SOOOO much!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by BarbaraS (Oh, Lorraine, no wor...)
Barbara, I'm just now sitting down and really reading this thread thru.

"I need to use those rubs my Secret Santa, Lorraine, sent me. But as we tasted them today for the one rack of baby backs, the Hubby said, "Too spicy and strong.". " - I'm reading this as you and 'hubby' tasted the rubs as is, on their own - like wetting your finger and dipping in the seasoning to taste??????

Testing a rub this way will ensure you think it will be too hot, too seasoned, too everything. It's kind of like tasting a salad dressing with your finger (or spoon ), it's not a fair tasting. You need to taste with a piece of lettuce or a vegetable to get the true flavor.

Last summer sometime, I did what I'm thinking you did with tasting the rubs, but I already had it on the ribs and thought for sure I was not going to like the results. Well, after the braising step and then brushing with bbq sauce, they were wonderful and I use the rub all the time now.

So, you might go ahead and try the rubs, I think you both will be surprised and how they mellow with cooking.

Of course, after posting all this, I've never gotten to taste Gil's rubs............... (so what do I know?)

------
Good idea, Daphne, I'll make this a sticky for all of us for a couple months for additions -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by cjs (Barbara, I'm just no...)
I'm bringing this info from Denise's thread (link below) to add to this topic.

For pictures of Denise’s smoking of a pork roast and a chicken, check out this link –
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...0&fpart=all

Here are the rubs listed in Denise’s thread so we can find them again.

Mine –
Cinnamon-Coffee Rub - a Chef's Journey

1 tablespoon ground Saigon cinnamon
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
2 cloves garlic -- very finely chopped

Mix all the rub ingredients together. Slide your hand under the skin of the breast or better yet chicken thighs, taking care not to make holes in the skin. Loosen the filament all the way down to (and including) the legs. Take handfuls of the rub and massage the chicken under the skin.

For smoking, rub the entire skin of the chicken with the rub.

Labs –
Spice rub for ribs

2 T Cumin
1 T Chile powder
1 T dry mustard
1/2 T salt
1 1/2 t Cayenne
1 1/2 t Cardamom
1 1/2 t Cinnamon

---

I would only add, the book I absolutely love for all this type of cooking is Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. The craft of salting, smoking, and curing. Wonderful ideas for all of us.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by cjs (Barbara, I'm just no...)
This simple recipe for Asian hot grill sauce is one of our favorites, especially on pork or chicken.

Asian Hot Grill Sauce

Recipe By :
Categories :

2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon chinese hot mustard -- to taste
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Asian chili paste with garlic -- to taste

Combine all ingredients except chili paste in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat. Stir in chili paste. Brush on meat while grilling.

Description:
"For chicken, beef or pork"
Yield:
"1 1/4 cups"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Favorite BBQ Sauces? Rubs? by Mare749 (This simple recipe f...)
Maryann, is that "Asian chili paste with garlic" similar to Sriracha, Thai red chili paste, or what? This sounds really good. I have worn out regular BBQ ribs (sue me...I love ribs), and I think William might like this. Bless his heart, I mention ribs as an option for dinner, and he picks ANYTHING but that....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.