A smoking question...
  Re: (...)
Ok so the recipe for the pork says a 7-8lb pork butt, bone in should cook at 225 degrees for about 8 hours (10 for all off the bone) and an internal temp of 160.

Well it's been on for 6.5 hours and is at 162 so I moved the thermometer and one area dropped down to 158.

I planned for dinner at 6 and had planned to take the pork off at 5:15 to rest for 45 minutes. Is this thing gonna dry out? I pulled at with the tongs to see how the meat was reacting, but it didn't pull away at all, it was like a regular slice type roast.

Or should I have the pizza guy on speed dial?
  Re: A smoking question... by DFen911 (Ok so the recipe for...)
I usually cook pork at 250-275, and pull it off the smoker at 190-195. I don't think the fat really renders until above 165, maybe even into the 180s. The pork you have definitely won't dry out, but it probably won't pull, either, so I'd just slice it and serve it (or order that pizza and have yummy sandwiches tomorrow).

I usually allow at least 12 hours for pork butt...if it gets done early I just wrap it in heavy duty foil and stick it in a towel-lined cooler. I've held it that way for as long as 4 or 5 hours with no concerns about safety. The pork still will be too hot to pull comfortably with bare hands, and the texture doesn't suffer at all.

Sorry I'm answering so late...what did you wind up doing?
  Re: Re: A smoking question... by karyn (I usually cook pork ...)
Thank you!
  Re: Re: A smoking question... by DFen911 (Thank you!...)
Have to agree with Karyn - only change is that I would wrap it in foil for the last couple of hours.

A great site for information on smoking is Smoking Meat Forum. The folks there are like the folks here, friendly and wonderfully willing to help.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A smoking question... by Harborwitch (Have to agree with K...)
I have to agree with the others, Denise. We always cook a pork butt for about 12 hours to 195, so that it pulls apart.
We also have noticed that the last couple of hours, the temperature of the meat rises very slowly, which is why you need the 12 hours.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A smoking question... by Mare749 (I have to agree with...)
Another great website for smoking is The Virtual Weber Bullet. The site has lots of recipes and ideas and a very active forum if you have any questions.
  Re: A smoking question... by DFen911 (Ok so the recipe for...)
I know it's too late, Denise, but it's funny you should mention this. My son did one on Friday, and called me at work. His recipe said 160 as well, and it wasn't pulling at all. I told him to cover with foil and continue to slow cook until about 200. Turned out great.

Maybe you two were using the same recipe.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: A smoking question... by pjcooks (I know it's too late...)
"I told him to cover with foil and continue to slow cook (in a 250 oven) until about 200. Turned out great." - this is what I was going to add....what PJ said.

Yeah, what did you end up doing? Just chicken?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A smoking question... by cjs ("I told him to cover...)
Yeah, how'd it turn out? And did you wind up having to order pizza?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.