pssssttt...i'll only say.....
  Re: (...)
(if you are on the fence about making Jean's (cjs) birthday dinner review................................................
....................................get off the fence and make it) (don't tell anyone i said anything)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by cjs ((if you are on the f...)
Okay - did I miss this menu somewhere?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by Harborwitch (Okay - did I miss th...)
HERE.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by labradors ([url=http://www.foru...)
And I'm SO going to be late! I had them planned, but we got an invitation to a cookout. William refuses for me to take something. Go figure! Explain that! I never get to play! I was all prepared to make the cream cheese ice cream ,too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by labradors ([url=http://www.foru...)
Thank you for the link. I'm going to plan this - but we'll be late!!! We love tostones - in fact I got a plantain slicer and we've been looking forward to using it. Those burgers caught my eye too.
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by Harborwitch (Thank you for the li...)
"in fact I got a plantain slicer" - a what??? (you mean a knife? ) Sharon, I still haven't used the mango pitter I had to have because you had one. (don't even know where it is)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by cjs ((if you are on the f...)
Looks like we are having this tomorrow night (maybe tonight if our other plans fall through). But darnit these look good. Jean, you must be on a wave-length with my hubby. He had been craving Cuban sandwiches and this will fill his order.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by cjs ("in fact I got a pla...)
Quote:

"in fact I got a plantain slicer" - a what??? (you mean a knife? )

Actually it's more like a mandoline, but usually made of wood and with just a single, non-adjustable blade. At least, that's what they are, here, for making tajadas (which I MUCH prefer, instead of tostones).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Rob, the blade on mine is adjustable. Not a huge adjustment, but enough

Jean I think I've worn mine out - the handle is cracked. I know where it is - but mangos here are an "ify" proposition. I wonder how many kitchen toys I'll be able to keep in a motorhome
  Re: Re: pssssttt...i'll only say..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I've never used as plantain slicer. Does not make sense since you have to get a knife dirty anyway to peel the plantain. However, my daughter gave me a tostonera, and I do use that to really flatten the tostones. BTW, use the greenest plantains you can find and flatten them as thinly as you can, so parts will really crisp. These are typically serve with just salt on them as soon as they are fried the second time, and sometimes with mojito to dip (garlic dip).

No Cuban I know would ever put chili powder on them. C@H is mixing Mexican with Cuban again. IMHO, it is a sacrilege to put a jalapeno on a Cuban sandwich (or any Cuban dish). Here's a recipe for the garlic dip in case folks need one:

Authentic mojo is made with juice from sour oranges. It it is very acid and tart but still tastes like oranges. You can come close by mixing equal amounts of freshly squeezed orange juice with lime juice. I prefer just lemon/lime version for tostones, but you can do the orange version is you prefer.

Makes 1 cup
1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
1/3 cuplime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted. Don't let it brown or it will be acrid tasting, just about 30 seconds should do it.

Add the lemon and lime juices, cumin and salt and pepper. STAND BACK; the sauce may sputter. Bring to a rolling boil. Taste and correct seasoning, if needed

Cool before serving. Mojo is best when served within a couple of hours of making, but it will keep for several days, well capped in a jar or bottle, in the refrigerator.

Use with Cuban sandwiches, boiled yucca, grilled seafood and meats, fried green plantain chips, etc.

I have seen recipes for mojo using cilantro in it, but that is not traditional to Cuban Cuisine.
Enjoy.