Very OT, but some good news!
  Re: (...)
My older daughter, Monica was laid off from her job as an environmental consultant last year. She was quite disillusioned with that industry and has been travelling the countryside trying to decide her next step. After visiting the west coast, she came to the conclusion that she would like to save our oceans somehow. Well, today she found out that she was accepted to the University of North Carolina in Wilmington! And even better yet, she is receiving a prestigious fellowship that will allow her to take Master's Degree classes for free and get paid! I owe Daphne thanks for bringing this school to our attention....it is where her son and daughter are attending. I am so proud and happy for Monica and as a bonus, I will most likely get to meet Daphne in the near future when we help Monica move to Wilmington.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Very OT, but some good news! by chef_Tab (My older daughter, M...)
Theresa, that is fantastic! Congratulations to her! And yea for you and Daphne to meet!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Very OT, but some good news! by esgunn (Theresa, that is fa...)
Wonderful news!! Congratulations to Monica (and mom and dad)!! And what a great school!
  Re: Re: Very OT, but some good news! by (Wonderful news!! Con...)
YIPPPPPEEEEE! It's a GREAT school, and I think Monica will love the area! As I told Theresa, Ashley (AKA Baby Girl) told me that the Marine Biology program here has a lab in the Caribbean, so Monica will have a VERY diverse experience....especially in light of recent events in the Gulf.

AND I can't wait to meet them both!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Congratulations!! Right out of school I began teaching chemistry, without a teaching certificate (I had a BS in chemistry and I was an expectant father--I needed a job!). I had to go to summer school and take education courses to renew my temp. certificate-(there were no chemistry teachers certified). I started a masters in marine biology--worked with my professor on the reproduction cycle in the sea cucumber--never finished --went into private industry. We were hungry in 1966!! Tell your daughter I envy her--and to stay with it!! Sounds like she really has the chance!!!

P.S. We are going to Galapagos for a week Friday--Charles Darwin is my hero--tell her I will post pictures and pray she gets to see the place before travel becomes too restricted!! Good Luck!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
What fantastic news Theresa! Congratulations to Monica on an exciting career move. It's so nice to hear good news about jobs, especially when someone gets to do what they love.

You will love meeting Daphne and I hope you get to meet her sweetie-pie hubby as well. He's like a big teddy bear and you just automatically want to hug him!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
That's really great news! I know you all must be so excited for her. Shoot - I'm excited for her. What a wonderful opportunity for her.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Very OT, but some good news! by Harborwitch (That's really great ...)
Oh, Bill...Please do! Your trip will probably be a thrill for her!

AWWWW, Maryann, isn't he just....I'll be sure to bring him along when we meet, Theresa! He loves his baby girl, so any opportunity to take her out, he's GAME! He's getting better about these online meetings. Of course, his experience and anticipation of meeting again with Maryann and Ron helps, a lot! (And we should have a second meeting in just a few weeks!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Very OT, but some good news! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Bill...Please do...)
Well done, Monica! Do you have to pass through VA to get to NC?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Very OT, but some good news! by Lorraine (Well done, Monica! ...)
That is wonderful news! I'm sure Monica will love Wilmington, as well as it's proximity to Wrightsville Beach. It was one of our favorite places to visit when we lived in NC. UNCW is a wonderful school.