So, Daphne -
  Re: (...)
Every summer you have two or fifty food projects you want to try - haven't heard what's on your list for this summer???? Anything we've all talked about over the past school year you are 'dying' to make??

You're almost there...all you wonderful teachers are almost there!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: So, Daphne - by cjs (Every summer you hav...)
Geez, its funny, I haven't even thought about it. On contemplation, I think I'll play with sushi, MAYBE. And I have been so jealous of your fruits lately, so I think I'll try putting up some fruit...peaches, at least! And then, there's the cream cheese ice cream! At least twice...I never made the chocolate, and while I'm playing with peaches, peach cream cheese ice cream.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by Gourmet_Mom (Geez, its funny, I h...)
Quote:

... I think I'll play with sushi, MAYBE. And I have been so jealous of your fruits lately, so I think I'll try putting up some fruit...peaches, at least! And then, there's the cream cheese ice cream! At least twice...I never made the chocolate, and while I'm playing with peaches, peach cream cheese ice cream.

So.... Sushi ice cream with a chocolate and peach topping?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Daphne, did you ever try freezing peaches in glass jars? That is how my mom did it every year and they were such a treat.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by Mare749 (Daphne, did you ever...)
I STILL don't have a freezer, so unless I can talk William into getting one, I'll have to can them....That or flash freeze and vacuum seal.
Daphne
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by Gourmet_Mom (I STILL don't have a...)
Quote:

flash freeze and vacuum seal

That's how I used to do them, and it worked really well.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
As usual, you'll fill up the summer!! I can't tell you how much we've enjoyed having the fruit since last summer - even now, when the melons aren't up to snuff, it was nice to drag out a couple of quarts of peaches and cherries for breakfast with the kids. I'm so glad I'm back into the canning.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by cjs (As usual, you'll fil...)
I mentioned my desire to explore sushi with William yesterday. He LOVES the stuff, but we have stuck with California Rolls. Oddly enough, the Thai restaurant he frequents at times expanded recently and added sushi to the menu. So William got a sampler platter today for lunch. It included some sushi with raw tuna. He LOVED it, so I guess sushi is definitely on the list for this summer!

Any and all advice on equipment and ingredients are welcome. Jean you mentioned a kit once? I THINK I still have Jean's recommendations for cookbooks, but just in case, feel free to add that, too. Also, technical advice is welcome. One set of questions that come to mind right away...Do I buy my sushi grade tuna ONLY when making the sushi that day? How long will it be "safe"? Can I freeze it and save it for later?
Daphne
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by Gourmet_Mom (I mentioned my desir...)
BTW...Karyn...are you planning any culinary adventures for the summer?
Daphne
  Re: Re: So, Daphne - by Gourmet_Mom (BTW...Karyn...are yo...)
That sounds like fun Daphne.

My goal this summer is to do some more cooking with the kids. Let them "do" more and gain some skills.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.