Oven baked cannelloni
  Re: (...)
Hi

I just made the above from maybe the original mag. no date on it.

I have a couple of questions -

the Marinara sauce - was not soupy but dry - could I have used canned
tomatoes - since this time of year Roma's are not juicy?

I used the no boil pasta from Barilla - I cooked until just soft
not thrilled with taste - Recipe says they have pasta squares
I have not seen them. - anyone have any idea where to find them.

Other than those two things I did like recipe -
I wonder if I couldn't just use the shells next time and fill them ?

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Oven baked cannelloni by mjkcooking (Hi [br][br]I just ...)
Marye I did so much experimenting with pasta for a lasagna and found out 2 things.

1 - the no bake pasta is awful.

2 - if you stuff or layer regular pasta with plenty of sauce and put it in your fridge overnight it will bake up fine!

Yes use the can tomatoes, S&W is one of the best brands and not expensive. Reserve the juice from the can tomatoes and make your sauce up. If it's not the right consistency you can add the juice from the tomatoes.
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by DFen911 (Marye I did so much ...)
I have never tried the no-cook pasta, so no help from this end. But, I do make it up ahead of time as Denise mentions.

Did the recipe call for fresh tomatoes? Don't think I've ever used them in a dish like this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by cjs (I have never tried t...)
I love Barilla's no cook pasta. It has improved my Christmas lasagna quite a bit. I now make it at least a day ahead, cut it when cold, then reheat. The pasta stays nice, does not get soggy or overcook. I first tried them in CI's make ahead Baked Manicotti with Prosciutto recipe and it was great. Love, the manicotti, would not make that sauce again, instead I use my go to vodka sauce. Here are the instructions I use in case they might help:
Pour 1 inch boiling water in 13 by 9-inch broiler-safe baking dish, then add noodles 1 at a time. Let noodles soak until pliable, about 5 minutes, separating noodles with tip of sharp knife to prevent sticking. Remove noodles from water and place in single layer on clean kitchen towels; discard water in baking dish and dry baking dish.
For the lasagna, I put them in on top of a bit of sauce completely dry. I was amazed at how well it worked.
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by Cubangirl (I love Barilla's no ...)

Yep the Tomatoes were fresh - and not juciy - I think the canned Tomatoes
as Denise said would be a better idea.

The Pasta was the no boil pasta sheets from Barilla - I boiled them for
severl minutes until soft as you have to roll up the meat mixture in them.
but unless I find better pasta sheets I believe I will use the Manicotti
shells.

Meat mixture was great - just the sauce was not juicy

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by mjkcooking ([br]Yep the Tomatoes...)
I think you may have overcooked the pasta. I just used hot water from the tap and left them in until they started to get soft enough to roll. It is also important to dry them before adding the filling. You could always make homemade pasta.
I would love to replicate the cannelloni Olive Garden used to serve (there were 3 kinds on a plate, one meat, veal I imagine, one cheese and another I forget the filling served with a white cheese sauce), but that requires crespelle. One of these days I'll have a crepe marathon, use half for blintzes and half for the cannelloni.
  Re: Oven baked cannelloni by mjkcooking (Hi [br][br]I just ...)
Cannelloni is one of Bob's absolute favorites. I don't make it often because it's a full day in the kitchen. I use a recipe for Crespeli from Marcella Hazan instead of pasta - so wonderful, and Bob says more authentic.

Crespelle

For the batter:
1 cup milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. salt

To cook the Crespelle
1 1/2 TBS butter
an 8" non-stick skillet

Put the milk in a bowl and add the flour gradually, sifting it through a sieve if possible, while you mix steadily with a fork or whisk to avoid making lumps, until evenly blended.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating them in rapidly with a fork. when both eggs have been incorporated add the salt, stirring to distribute it.

Lightly smear the bottom of the skilled with some of the butter. Turn the heat to med-low.

Give the batter a good stir, and pour 2 TBS of it into the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan to distribute the batter evenly.

As soon as the batter sets and becomes firm and speckled brown, slip a spatula underneath it and flip it over to cook the other side. Stack the finished crespelle on a plate.

Coat bottom of skillet with a tiny amount of butter and repeat until all the batter is used. Remember to stir the batter each time.

These are soooooooo good. Much better than the heavier pasta. Can be made a day ahead; stacked between waxed paper and refrigerated.

I've been making the same meat sauce for years and years (veal, pork, beef) using some of it for the filling before all the liquid is added. The bechamel sauce is just standard white sauce with lots of parm added.

Hmmmmmmmm - I don't have the veal, but I think I could make this with pork and buffalo. Sounds really good, and the house smells so good while it cooks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by Harborwitch (Cannelloni is one of...)
Yum, thanx, Sharon! I was just thinking I could use a good Crespelle recipe. I've got this idea to wrap it around asparagus and top with lobster mates in hollandaise sauce. I did see a recipe for it, maybe Foodgawker? Anyway, thanx, now I'm off to a good start
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by farnfam ( Yum, thanx, Sharon!...)
Oh my that sounds so good. This recipe always works. I just love Marcella Hazan!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Oven baked cannelloni by Harborwitch (Oh my that sounds so...)
Marcella's recipe is the one I was planning to make for the crespelle. I love her. Her minestrone soup is my favorite and always a big hit with company. It is the filling I am trying to figure out. For the sauce, I use an adaptation of Marcella's bechamel with added cheese and porcini mushrooms.