Got a new toy!
  Re: (...)
We've been wanting one of those belgian waffle makers for a while, so finally got one this weekend from Sam's Club. It's a Waring Pro, really fun!

So, they give you some recipes to try and I made the one for overnight waffles. You make the batter, except for the eggs, the night before and let it ferment. It made a very light and airy waffle that I thought was fantastic! It reminded me very much of a funnel cake.

Anyway, Ron wasn't quite as crazy about it as I was and likes a waffle with a little more substance. If anyone has a favorite recipe, I would really appreciate it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Got a new toy! by Mare749 (We've been wanting o...)
Oh I love new toys to play with in the kitchen!

Banana nut, chocolate, hazelnut but my favorite is a recipe where I put in small crumbles of sausage in my mix. I just love that salty/sweet flavor!
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by DFen911 (Oh I love new toys t...)
You can make waffles out of Uncle Wallace's Pancakes....the best pancakes in the world!!! (shush, Sharon)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Got a new toy! by Mare749 (We've been wanting o...)
Quote:

We've been wanting one of those belgian waffle makers for a while, so finally got one this weekend from Sam's Club. It's a Waring Pro, really fun!

So, they give you some recipes to try and I made the one for overnight waffles. You make the batter, except for the eggs, the night before and let it ferment. It made a very light and airy waffle that I thought was fantastic! It reminded me very much of a funnel cake.

Anyway, Ron wasn't quite as crazy about it as I was and likes a waffle with a little more substance. If anyone has a favorite recipe, I would really appreciate it.

We inherited one from my mother--it makes one at the time!! Wonderful--takes a little while but feeds two families and two grandkids--we love them--I'll get Jane's recipe for you!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I bought mine a few years ago and use it once a week (Waffle Wednesday, anyone?!?!). I just wish that I had a convenient place to store it (the base cupboard it's currently in is difficult to get to. If I ever get a bigger kitchen, there will be a specially-designed area just for that waffle maker).

I will not give you my recipe, though, because it's a little too "grainy" for most. And lowfat waffles can be a tad tough. But we've become used to them!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by foodfiend (I bought mine a few ...)
I don't have a Belgian waffle maker, but I can attest to the fact that Uncle Wallace's Pancake mix is THE BEST! (SHHHHUSH Sharon! And one of these days, I MIGHT give your recipe a whirl for kicks.)

Maryann, if you can put off the diet for ONE more weekend, I highly recommend the Bacon Sauce with your waffles! I'm betting Ron will LOVE your new toy if you serve him waffles with this sauce! Ignore the butter amount...its worth it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by Gourmet_Mom (I don't have a Belgi...)
Daphne, that bacon sauce sounds dangerous! LOL! Seriously, Ron stopped eating bacon about 6 months ago in order to help bring down his cholesterol numbers, which he successfully did. He also dropped 10 lbs. which probably helped too.

Vicci, you're right, we're probably not ready for those really healthy waffles yet as we're still taking baby steps. Actually, Ron's doctor recommended moderation, so we'll work on that first.

Bill, I'm looking forward to your recipe whenever you get a chance to post it. Thanks!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by Mare749 (Daphne, that bacon s...)
I have a WillaWare Belgian one and love it. Have you tried CI's overnight waffles? You mix up all the ingredients 12 up to 24 hours ahead. I've made it both in the Belgian and regular irons. It has a very nice balance between crisp and chewy. They have a new one in the 4/2010 issue that does not require overnight and uses dry buttermilk powder and seltzer water which has gotten good reviews so far. Your post reminded me it was on my list. BTW they say this: "While the waffles can be eaten as soon as they are removed from the waffle iron, they will have a crispier exterior if rested in a warm oven for 10 minutes. (This method also makes it possible to serve everyone at the same time.)"

If you don't have and would like either, please let me know.
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by Mare749 (Daphne, that bacon s...)
This is the one we use all the time.

Grant Corner Inn, Santa Fe

Belgian Waffles with Creme Fraiche
1/2 C warm (110-115) water
1 package active dry yeast
2C lukewarm milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1t salt
1T sugar
2C all purpose flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1t vanilla
pinch baking soda
Creme Fraiche for topping
strwberries for topping
(We also use a favorite syrup!!!)

The nite before you serve the waffles,stir together in a large mixing bowl water and yeast. Allow to stand 10 min., then stir in milk, butter, salt and sugar. With wooden spoon, beat in flour. Wrap bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand overnite on counter top--do not refrigerate!!

Next morning, preheat well greased waffle iron. Stir in eggs, vanilla, & soda; beat well. Bake on prepared waffle iron until brown. Serve with desired toppings and/or syrup.

This serves 4--we easily triple it for family!!
We have 6-8 leftovers individually wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen --2 months old--just unwrap and heat in oven or microwave--still good!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Got a new toy! by Old Bay (This is the one we u...)
Don't have one. But am looking forward to your Waffle experiences! Love to hear about it. I look for waffle irons at garage sales and admire them.Until I find the right one!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura