Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review
  Re: (...)
Been a long time since I've thrown away a dinner, but threw it away last night - Roy managed to eat most of his, but...

I made the bahn mi sandwiches from the Slow Cooker Book - thought this is the one so many of you made. But, after I did a search this a.m., looks like it's not the one.

this is the one you all made -

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post96155

The one I made was completely different! Didn't like the flavor, didn't like the way the house smelled (and I use fish sauce quite often), just didn't like it at all. bleck.

So, had to eat more of the Chocolate frozen yogurt...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by cjs (Been a long time sin...)
Oh, Jean, that is too bad. You really should try the grilled ones sometime. But thanks for the warning. I wonder how they can be that different? I will have to compare the recipes.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by chef_Tab (Oh, Jean, that is to...)
Oh, what a bummer! I just hate when that happens. It's hard enough to get Ron to try new recipes. Thanks for the warning, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by Mare749 (Oh, what a bummer! I...)
I think I made the ones Theresa posted. I hate that you had a bad one...but there times when this happens.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by cjs (Been a long time sin...)
Didn't like the smell... are you PG???? No JK.

Wow after looking up the Banh Mi sandwich (I did not misspell, look it up), it doesn't sound like a Slow Cooker recipe at all.

However, I have just about everything here to make it the regular way, so perhaps I might.

What a bummer though. It's always disappointing when things don't work out. Especially when you have to smell it in your house!

Well now I found one online and we will have it tomorrow. I hope. Here it is. At least the one we will try. If anyone has a suggestion or instruction please let us know before we shop tomorrow.

Vietnamese-Style Sandwich: Banh Mi
Recipe courtesy Anthony Nguyen, Saigon Banh Mi So # 1, NYC

.Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:30 minCook Time:15 minLevel:
IntermediateServes:
4 servings.Ingredients
Slaw:
•1/2 cup water
•1/4 cup sugar
•1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
•1/2 cup julienned carrot
•1/2 cup julienned daikon radish
•Kosher salt
Seasoned Pork:
•1 teaspoon vegetable oil
•1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
•6 ounces ground pork
•1 tablespoon roast pork seasoning mix, available in Asian markets
•Pinch garlic powder
•Pinch ground black pepper
Sandwiches:
•4 (10-inch) baguettes
•Mayonnaise, as needed
•8 thin slices Vietnamese-style pork roll (cha lua), or bologna
•8 slices Vietnamese-style salami, or ham or turkey
•4 teaspoons soy sauce
•1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
•1/4 medium English cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
•Freshly ground black pepper
•Asian-style chili oil, to taste, optional
Directions
Make the slaw: In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Transfer the vinegar mixture to a bowl and cool. Add the carrot and daikon, mix well, and season with salt. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes or store in the refrigerator up to overnight.

Meanwhile, make the seasoned pork: Heat the oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the pork, seasoning, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the heat and set aside covered with foil to keep warm.

Make the sandwiches: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the baguettes open lengthwise, and slather the insides with mayonnaise. Arrange the baguettes on a baking sheet and bake until hot and crusty about 5 minutes. Remove the baguettes from the oven and immediately fill each with some of the seasoned pork. In each sandwich, arrange 2 slices each of the pork roll and salami, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, 1 slice cucumber, ground pepper, and chili oil, if using. Serve immediately with the slaw on the side.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by luvnit (Didn't like the smel...)
Laura, below is the C@H version of Banh Mi sandwich. I have made them several times because we love it so much. The flavors are fabulous and it is so easy and quick to make.

Bahn Mi burger with Daikon Slaw
makes 4 burgers
total time 45 mins.

For the slaw-
combine;add:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 TB sugar
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
salt to taste
1 cup daikon sliced into thin strips
1 cup cucumber, seeded, thinly sliced into half moons
1/2 cup carrot, sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

For the burgers-
Mix,shape, and grill:
1.5 pounds ground pork
4 scallions, sliced
2 Tb fresh ginger, minced
2 Tb dry sherry
1 Tb soy sauce
1 Tb chili garlic sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 french rolls, partially split(6")

Assemble with:
1/4 cup mayo divided
4 oz. deli ham, thinly sliced, divided

Preheat grill to medium-high.
Combine vinegar, sugar, chili garlic sauce, and salt for slaw in a bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Toss daikon, cucumber, carrot, and cilantro together in a large bowl with the vinegar mmixture. Refridgerate until ready to serve.

Mix first 7 burger ingredients, then shape into 4 patties slightly larger than rolls.(they end up being oblong) Coat both sides of burgers with nonstick spray, then grill until cooked through, about 4 mins per side. In the last 2 mins of grilling, place rolls, cut side down, on top of burgers to heat through.

To assemble, remove rolls, spread insides with mayo, and line with ham. Top with burgers and slaw.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by chef_Tab (Laura, below is the ...)
Both of these sound a lot better than the one in the Slow Cook book - maybe I'll try another one one of these days....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by chef_Tab (Laura, below is the ...)
Thanks Theresa, I am sending hubby to the store today. Your timing is perfect! Can't wait to try these.
Laura
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by luvnit (Thanks Theresa, I am...)
Wow! Well I did a combination of both recipes and these sandwiches were delicious! Wow, this recipe really makes a lot. The only downside was that we had no daikon (or jamica) There was non at the store and so I sent my hubby to the asian market (very close by) and they had none. So I just make them with more carrot. These were really good. I watched a couple of youtubes on assembly of these classic sandwiches. Nice information.
Laura
  Re: Re: Bahn Mi Sandwich with Cucumber & Carrots - Review by luvnit (Wow! Well I did a co...)
I'm going to give these a try next week. I'm really looking forward to them!