The first of many requests...
  Re: (...)
regarding MIL's 90th birthday dinner in early July.

Yes,I'm trying to get the planning done early!

I want to make a lemon chicken dish, like picatta (I've also found others on the web), that does not contain wheat ingredients (niece has celiac). I did find a good picatta recipe in an old issue of CAH.

But I wonder how far in advance I can make this. The situation is that we are having the dinner in a private dining room at MIL's new residence. I live 15 minutes away and plan to make the chicken in advance, then take there and reheat if necessary (in the main kitchen, and only if the kitchen supervisor allows) then place over candle warmers.

Should I prepare the recipe a day in advance, then reheat and transport? Or make it later on the "party" day and not reheat at all (only rewarm if necessary)? Of course, it would be lots easier to do it the day before, but I don't want the chicken to lose any flavor, texture, etc by doing that.

Any ideas?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: The first of many requests... by foodfiend (regarding MIL's 90th...)
My suggestion is to do it as we used to when personal 'cheffing' -

"Dredge the chicken and brown on both sides; place on a baking sheet with sides, presentation side down, cover and chill. Make the sauce in the skillet and pour it over the chicken.

At serving, remove from fridge ~30 minutes ahead – preheat oven to 400. Turn the chicken pcs. over (there will be more sauce on the presentation side), cover with foil and bake 20-25 minutes, until internal temp. reaches 160."

The chicken will be the most moist this way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by cjs (My suggestion is to ...)
Good heavens, that sounds so easy (except for the "400 oven" part, for this will be in early July in my very warm house!).

Now, I won't be "dredging", just browning the chicken since I can't use flour (and the CAH recipe didn't require it, anyway). Will that make a difference?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by foodfiend (Good heavens, that s...)
"Will that make a difference?" not at all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by cjs ("Will that make a di...)
Good, Jean, you didn't notice the mistake!

I was flipping through the CAH issue with chicken picatta recipe and noticed that the instructions say to dredge the chicken in flour, but flour isn't in the ingredient list. Probably the only thing about CAH that annoys me, they do that often. Anyway, I can't make it with the flour so I'm planning to do a trial run this week of that particular recipe, using the instructions which you gave. Thanks so much!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by foodfiend (Good, Jean, you didn...)
How about rice or garbanza flour?? It does help with the resulting texture of the sauce.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by cjs (How about rice or ga...)
I started to mention the rice flour, also. And Jean, didn't you use Rice Krispies as a breader recently....if that doesn't have flour in it, it would work well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by Gourmet_Mom (I started to mention...)
Hmmm, now there's an idea. I was going to thicken the sauce with cornstarch before pouring it over the chicken but maybe I'll try dredging the chicken in garbanzo flour (which I happen to have) first. Good thing I have 7 weeks to work on this!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by foodfiend (Hmmm, now there's an...)
Oh Daphne, the rice krispies sure did give a good flavor to whatever I coated.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The first of many requests... by cjs (Oh Daphne, the rice ...)
I like using panko instead of flour for chicken piccata. I like the extra texture it gives. That's what made me remember the Rice Krispies. I keep forgetting to buy them and try it. Here's the ingredient info for them:

Ingredients
RICE, SUGAR, SALT, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, IRON, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D, VITAMIN B12. TO MAINTIAN QUALITY, BHT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE PACKAGING.
Dietary Exchange Per Serving
2 Carbohydrates
Kosher Status
Kosher/Parve
Country of Origin
Distributed in USA

Since I am unfamiliar with celiac, I don't know if any of the ingredients would be dangerous. Just in case, I pulled up the info for Corn Flakes. They make a great coating and would give you another option:

Ingredients

MILLED CORN, SUGAR, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT, IRON, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D. TO MAINTAIN QUALITY, BHT IS ADDED TO PACKAGING.
Allergen Information
CORN USED IN THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS TRACES OF SOYBEANS.
Dietary Exchange Per Serving
1 1/2 Carbohydrates
Kosher Status
Kosher/Parve
Country of Origin
Distributed in USA
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.