60+ Years Ago....
  Re: (...)
...these were my favorite sandwiches!! Haven't thought of them since. I love For Better or Worse cartoon.

http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/

wonder bread slathered with softened (we left it on the counter) butter and sprinkled with granulated sugar

Anyone else remember these? and we probably made as big a mess.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by cjs (...these were my fav...)
Well I used to eat Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches.

How I survived I will never know
Brown sugar or granulated. Depended on what was handy. Plain ol' mayonnaise sammies - yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by Harborwitch (Brown sugar or granu...)
We're all sick little puppies you know, don't you?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by Harborwitch (Brown sugar or granu...)
I loved lettuce sandwiches-- iceberg lettuce and soft white bread. Go figure!

Jean, I never heard of butter-and-sugar sandwiches! But I love that comic strip.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by foodfiend (I loved lettuce sand...)
I did the lettuce sandwiches too. Or just took a slice of wonderbread and balled it up and ate it. Eewww!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I went to school with a girl whose mother packed her 3 or 4 of these for lunch everyday, first I ever heard of them. When I did this at home (I was around 8 or 9) my mother had such a strong opinion about my lunch I didn't do it again.

They were good, though!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by pjcooks (I went to school wit...)
Well, my parents were only in middle school 60 years ago, but I do remember having butter-and-sugar sandwiches once or twice when I was little. Also, my mom has said that when she was a kid, one of her favourite sandwiches was a mustard sandwich, and she still likes them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by labradors (Well, my parents wer...)
"Or just took a slice of wonderbread and balled it up" and bounce it on the sidewalk!!!

I think my liking butter and sugar sandwiches comes from my heritage of eating lefse with soft butter and sugar.

"Well, my parents were only in middle school 60 years ago," - yeah, just rub it in, KID
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 60+ Years Ago.... by cjs ("Or just took a slic...)
I never ate butter and sugar sandwiches, but sure did like velveeta and miracle whip on white bread.

Ron used to eat radish sandwiches on buttered white bread when he was a kid. We still like those.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."