Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy
  Re: (...)
We had the leftovers of this last night for dinner - and it was even better than the first night.

The true delight of this meal was the fact that so much could be done ahead - the meat marinates overnight in an incredibly flavored mixture. The gingersnaps in the gravy were fantastic.

Only change I would make would be to use a different cut of meat - perhaps not so lean. My Mom made this with a whole cut of meat, not chunks - perhaps that's why I remember her Sauerbraten as being moister????

All in all Bob gave this a 10++++++. I served it with red cabbage sauteed with bacon and onions, and buttered noodles with lots of fresh parsley. I'd give it a good solid 9.6

If anyone needs the recipe I can type it in.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by Harborwitch (We had the leftovers...)
I was just going to ask for the recipe Sharon, we're still getting Sauerbraten kinda days, so it would be great to make this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by cjs (I was just going to ...)
Do you have the Slow Cooker Menus book?

I can type it in if you don't. Yummy stuff.
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by Harborwitch (Do you have the Slow...)
Thanks so much for the review! I've been really curious about that one. I think it's going on the menu for next week.
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by karyn (Thanks so much for t...)
Oh, I didn't realize that's where it came from - Yes, I do. Thanks Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by cjs (Oh, I didn't realize...)
Sharon, I don't have that recipe, but I wonder if it's close to this one. Or just tell me what the changes are. I wanna make this by Friday.

Sauerbraten with Gingersnap gravy

One of Germany's best known dishes is sauerbraten or "sour roast." Marinating produces a tender roast with the typical sweet and sour taste.

Ingredients:
3cups water
.1cup cider vinegar
.1onion, thinly sliced
.3tablespoons brown sugar
.1-1/2teaspoons salt
.1teaspoon ground ginger
.1teaspoon whole allspice
.1teaspoon whole cloves
.1/2teaspoon juniper berries
.2cloves garlic, crushed
.1beef rump roast (about 4 pounds)
.2tablespoons vegetable oil
.2tablespoons all-purpose flour
.1/4cup crushed gingersnaps

Preparation:
1.To prepare marinade, bring water and vinegar to a boil in large saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat; add onion, sugar, salt, ginger, allspice, cloves, juniper berries and garlic. Cool slightly.

2.Place roast in large glass bowl or large resealable food storage bag; pour marinade over roast. Cover or seal bag; refrigerate at least 8 hours, turning occasionally.

3.Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. To braise roast, add marinade to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours until fork-tender. Remove roast from Dutch oven; set aside.

4.Strain braising liquid through fine-meshed sieve into large bowl; discard spices and onion. Skim fat from braising liquid with spoon; discard. Measure 2 cups braising liquid; discard remaining braising liquid. Place 1-1/2 cups liquid in Dutch oven. Place flour in small bowl; gradually whisk remaining 1/2 cup braising liquid into flour. Stir mixture into liquid in Dutch oven. Add gingersnaps; mix well. Bring to a boil.

5.Return roast to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15 to 20 minutes until flavors blend and sauce thickens. Slice roast and serve with thickened sauce.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by luvnit (Sharon, I don't have...)
Similar.

Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy

1 1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
8 whole juniper berries
4 whole allspice berries
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ea. whole mustard seed & ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. whole cloves
4 lb boneless beef bottom round roast, trimmed and cut into 2" chunks
2 TBS quick cooking tapioca
Kosher salt & black pepper
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 c. water
8 gingersnap cookies, finely crushed.

Combine vinegar, wine, onion, carrot, celery, juniper, allspice,bay leaves, 2 tsp salt, pepper, mustard seed, and cloves in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Completely cool marinade and pour over beef in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap (or bag) and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Remove beef from marinade (some vegetables & seasoning will cling to the meat), pat dry with paper towels.

Whisk tapioca into the marinade and pour into a 6 to 8 qt slow cooker.

Season beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear beef in oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat until browned, 10 minutes.

Transfer beef to the slow cooker. Deglaze the saute pan with 1/2 c water scraping up browned bits; transfer liquid to slow cooker. Cover, cook on high heat setting for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6-7 hours. Add crushed gingersnaps when about 30 minutes cooking time is left. Transfer beef to a serving dish. Strain gravy, discarding the solids. Pour gravy over sauerbraten.
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by Harborwitch (Similar.[br][br]Saue...)
Thanks for the review, Sharon. This does sound good. Juniper berries and allspice berries are still an illusive product around here. I'll keep looking. I hope I find them soon. There are a number of venison recipes I'd like to try that call for juniper berries.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the revie...)
One word - Penzeys. They have both. That reminds me - have to place an order, I'm out of a few things.
  Re: Re: Review - Sauerbraten with Gingersnap Gravy by Harborwitch (One word - Penzeys. ...)
You know...I don't know why I keep putting off making an order from there. It's on my "To Do" List for Easter Break. Good idea, Sharon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.