Irish Soda Bread
  Re: (...)
As Labs mentioned it's about time to think about Irish Soda Bread - I never cared too much for it until I found this recipe and I just love this one.

IRISH SODA BREAD

4 c a.p. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c superfine sugar
2 c. buttermilk

Oven to 425°. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan or a 9 X 5" loaf pan.

Sift flour, b. soda, cream of tartar, & salt together into a loarge bowl.
Stir in the sugar.
Make a well in center, add the buttermilk, & w/a fork, work the milk into the flour till a soft dough is formed.

Turn into the prepared pan & bake for 10 min.
Reduce temp to 400° and bake till bread is golden brown & firm to the touch, ~45 min. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This bread also makes a great crust for meat & game pies when rolled out to ~1/4" thickness.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Irish Soda Bread by cjs (As Labs mentioned it...)
This is very close to the recipe I use, Jean, I got it at least 11 or 12 years ago from either Gourmet or BA (I think). I'll have to dig it up! It's getting close to that time of year again.

PJ
PJ
Great recipe...I like adding chocolate chips, raisins and dates to mine. Not traditional but adds to the texture and flavours.

Love doing these kinds of things...I guess this is the only bread I have ever had turn out right.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Irish Soda Bread by firechef (Great recipe...I lik...)
Will have to try this one. Thanks for posting it Jean. I have never cared for Irish Soda bread very much, but I'm willing to try it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I'm not a huge fan of caraway seeds so a couple of years ago I went hunting for a Irish soda bread recipe that didn't include them. I found this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107263

it sounded really good but when I made it, I decided not to serve it to my guests because it looked really dry and unappetizing. Boy was I ever wrong!!! It was a delicious, moist cake and I nearly ate the whole thing by myself!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Irish Soda Bread by mlucas1 (I'm not a huge fan o...)
Glad you enjoy the recipes you have used, but my Irish friends gave me an earful on this a long time ago, saying essentially what I now quote from the website whose link I gave earlier:
Quote:

If your "soda bread" has raisins in it, it's not "soda bread," it's called "Spotted Dog" or "Railway Cake"!

If it contains raisins, eggs, baking powder, sugar or shortening, it's called "cake", not "bread."

Here's the basic, white soda bread recipe from the same site:

Quote:

White Soda Bread

4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.

In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.

Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.

Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Irish Soda Bread by labradors (Glad you enjoy the r...)
Thanks, but since I put sugar in darn near every bread I make....I'll continue to be a non-purist and mine will be called Irish Soda Bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com