TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE
  Re: (...)
Noticed in the other posts that the quick puff pastry recipes were mentioned, so will post them here. I have used this recipe for about 15 years and since finding it, I have NEVER purchased the frozen ones! It actually takes more time to get to the store and back than it takes to make this!!! Tho not requested, for all the chocoholics out there (who isn't!?!?!) included the recipe for CHOCOLATE puff pastry! OMG!!! The uses for this dough are endless, needless to say! (The recipes appear lengthy but there is more rhetoric than actual processing time).

As you will note in my notes, I have also added some fresh herbs and spices, depending on what I make, to the dough and this adds a very nice twist. Since we are all allergic to ALL types of seafood, can't give you suggestions on what herbs/spices to add to the dough to augment the taste, if desired, but all of you are such excellelnt cooks you can figure this out!!!

And for a very, very quick appy, I will make this dough and add some cayenne and shredded cheddar, cut into thin strips, twist, and bake about 10 min at 350, for spicy cheese straws. Super, super quick and guests think you've spent hours on them!

NOTES:
1. This recipe uses a food processor to mix the dough and really is a “quick” puff pastry dough!
2. Dough will keep in the frige for 3 days, frozen for 1 month. Defrost in the frige overnight.
3. Add herbs, spices, etc., to augment recipes for a savory or spiced dough.

ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes (1 hour refrig time, tho not necessary if used right away)

YIELD: 1-1/2 pounds of dough

INGREDIENTS:

10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) butter, unsalted, COLD
1/2 cup cold tap water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups AP flour

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut 2 sticks of the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and place on a plate and refrigerate with gathering the rest of the ingredients.
2. Measure the water and stir in the salt to dissolve. Set aside.
3. Coarsely dice the rest of the butter, 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick).
4. Place the flour in the FP bowl with the metal blade and add the 4 tablespoons of butter. Pulse until the butter is absorbed, about 10 to 12 pulses.
5. Add the chilled butter and pulse 1-2 times to distribute.
6. Add water and salt mixture and pulse 3-4 times, just until the dough forms a rough ball. DO NOT OVERPROCESS!!!
7. Flour the work surface and turn the dough out. Shape the dough into a rectangle and place between 2 pieces of plastic. Press with a rolling pin to flatten then roll back and forth a few times with the rolling pin to make a 12 x 18 inch rectangle.
8. Peel the top layer of plastic wrap off and turn the dough over onto the floured countertop. Remove the plastic from this side.
9. Fold the dough into thirds on the short side, to make a 4 x 18 rectangle. Roll the dough up from the 4 inch end (roll up like a jelly-roll).
10. Using the rolling pin, press the dough into a square, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate or use as needed in recipe. Keep in refrig, if needed, as you prepare filling, or until ready to use. Do not keep out of frige.

QUICK PUFF PASTRY

ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes (includes chill time)

NOTES:
1. This is a “fast” version of puff pastry. This is best for pastries where the light delicacy of puff pastry is desired, but not the dramatic height.
2. For “savory” puff pastry, add herbs, spices, etc., which coordinate with the filling, i.e., sage with chicken filling.
3. Dough can be held in frig for 3-4 days. Can freeze for 1 month, tightly wrapped in plastic. Defrost in frig overnight.

YIELD: approx 1-1/2 pounds

INGREDIENTS:

1-1/4 cups ap flour
1/3 cup cake flour
2 sticks butter, cold
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup very, very cold water

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the ap flour in a large bowl and sift the cake flour over it. Thoroughly mix the two flours together.
2. Slice 2 tablespoons of butter into thin pieces and add to the bowl.
3. Rub together the butter and flour by hand, tossing and squeezing until there are no visible pieces of butter.
4. Cut the remaining butter into 1/2 inch thick cubes and add to the flour mixture. Toss with a rubber spatula just to separate and evenly distribute the butter. DO NOT RUB THE BUTTER INTO THE FLOUR!!!
5. Add the salt to the water to dissolve it.
6. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the water.
7. Toss gently with the spatula until the dough is evenly moistened. Add “DROPS” of water if needed to completely moisten.
8. Press and squeeze the dough to form a rough cylinder.
9. Lightly flour countertop and turn dough out. Using palms, press down on the dough three or four times to shape into a rough rectangle. Pound the dough with the rolling pin if needed, to help flatten it.
10. Roll the dough along the length one or two times until it is even, about ¼ inch thick. If the dough sticks (from the butter protruding through) loosen it with the spatula or scraper.
11. Fold both ends of the dough toward the center then fold again to make 4 layers. Lightly dust counter with flour if needed.
12. Roll dough out again to rectangle, about 6 x 18 inches. Fold over again and roll out again.
13. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for about 1 hour before using it.
14. Roll out dough to whatever you need it to be.

QUICK CHOCOLATE PUFF PASTRY

2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely cut
2/3 cup water
2 cups ap flour
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons butter, cold
2 sticks butter, cold
3 tablespoons cocoa powder

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of hot water (hot, NOT simmering or boiling!)
2. Melt the chocolate, stirring often. When melted, add 4 tablespoons hot water and whisk to combine.
3. Stir in 6 tablespoons cole water.
4. pour chocolate/water mixture into a glass measuring cup. You should have 3/4 cup of liquid. If not, add cold water to make 3/4 cup.
5. Continue making dough as above, adding the chocolate mixture where you would add the water in the above recipe. Sift the cocoa powder on the countertop and use this instead of flour, to keep dough from sticking.

Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE by MUSICMAKER (Noticed in the other...)
I have Friday off. Guess what 2 doughs I'm making??? Thank you!!!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE by Lorraine (I have Friday off. ...)
Huuuummmmm....would one be chocolate????

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE by MUSICMAKER (Huuuummmmm....would ...)
Yes, and I'll have house guests who will be guinea pigs.
Which of the first two do you actually use? Also, how critical is the unsalted butter for the first one? Unsalted butter is not available here, so I usually just use the regular butter and leave out the salt from another part of the recipe. Would that be okay in that first one?

Thanks for the info!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
"QUICK CHOCOLATE PUFF PASTRY" -oh hell, aren't I just glad I opened this one.......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE by cjs ("QUICK CHOCOLATE PUF...)
" aren't I just glad I opened this one "

My hips aren't glad I did!!! I'm thinking about what kind of dessert to make with it. I'm still getting local raspberries, so maybe a napoleon?
  Re: Re: TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE by Lorraine (" aren't I just glad...)
Thanks for posting these Linda! I've never even been able to make a decent pie crust, so I don't know if I'll be much better at this, but it is tempting to try. Especially the chocolate one! Yum!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thanks Linda, I was hoping to be able to use the food processor for the puff pastry. This sounds perfect. Cheese twist appys sound good too!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: TEN MINUTE PUFF PASTRY RECIPE by labradors (Which of the first t...)
OK, let's see if I can answer everyone and not miss anyone!

Of the two recipes, I usually use the ten minute one, tho have used both. The ten min one is faster, the food processer takes care of most of the work.

Yes, Labradors, you can use regular butter. I've done that more times than with unsalted. Just leave out the salt. Things happen that you just don't always have unsalted and by the time you get dressed, lock up the puppy, get your shoes on, you've already spent 30 minutes...so guess which wins out???!!!

Maryann, I think the "secret" to this, and even pie crust, is to NOT handle it so much as it makes a tough dough. Less is better here. I wouldn't worry about making "perfect" shapes, etc. Just get to the point of where you want to be...a crust to cover the casserole, or cut into triangles to use as a dessert, etc. I think you'll do just fine if you don't fuss over it .

Chocolate pastry...how about making some Bavarian cream to go with those raspberries, or any other fruit and cream filling of choice. I've made these square "dishes" out of the pastry and placed some Bavarian cream into it, sprinkled on the berries and lightly dust with 10X. If you serve this to your guests they'll think you slaved over them or purchased them at some high-end French bakery. How about some mint choco chip ice cream with choco syrup or hot fudge (both homemade, of course! and I have a recipe if anyone wants, just ask and will post it). Another is some vanilla ice cream with either hot fudge or caramel syrup (again, homemade!) and sprinkle with some nuts (pecans) and whipped cream, cherry on top, for like a turtle. How about a Boston cream pie spin-off?

This may sound wierd but oh are they delicious! Make a "container" of some sort out of the dough (again, I use those "dishes") and place a scoop or several small scoops of orange sherbet and a light drizzle of yes, homemade caramel sauce. Chocolate, orange and caramel really DO compliment one another. I've just even made those "dishes" and loaded them with fresh fruit and some whipped cream and a cherry or other decoration, for something on the light side. The possibilites are literally endless .

I'm sure there is a way to post the instructions on how to make those dish thing-ies...they look so professional but are so easy, too easy. If someone really wants them and if someone can tutor me on how to scan the photo to this forum, will pass that along. Another way to make the dough is to just cut it into triangles, like you would for a turnover. Can also cut into strips and make a "container" as you would if you were playing with those "Lincoln logs" (geeeeesssshhhh, did I just show my age?!)

I think that answered everyone...if not, just hollar again! Hope you all enjoy these. They really are easy to make, fast, and far less expensive than the premade, frozen, and healthier...no chemical preservatives!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda