What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

We had some great smoked pulled pork that Sharon made for dinner along with coleslaw. Don't know what I'll do for our dinner today, but I do know it will be a healthy one. We've been 'living on the edge' for too many days.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Tony is traveling again so that means Theresa is on a diet. Against my better judgement I bought some frozen fish at Trader Joe's yesterday - Icelandic haddock. It's been years since I've bought fish from there and thought I'd give it another go. I'll just simply saute it.

I bought some quinoa for the first time so I might fool around with that. Does anyone have any particular ingredients they like to add to it? I'm open to anything!
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by Trixxee (Tony is traveling ag...)
Trixxee, I got an email from another magazine yesterday. They had a recipe for quinoa with bacon. I know, not exactly diet food, but if you want the recipe, I'll send you the link.

I think that dinner tonight will be an antipasta salad and watermelon for dessert.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by Mare749 (Trixxee, I got an em...)
Trixxee, this is a good quinoa dish also.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Toasted Quinoa With Chiles and Corn - *****

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1 can fat-free -- (14-ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned no salt-added whole-kernel corn -- drained
1/3 cup jalapeño peppers -- chopped
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 tablespoons lime juice

1. Add the quinoa to a 2-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, and place the pan over high heat. Swirl the quinoa in the pan to toast it evenly.

When the grains are fragrant and crackle, remove from heat. Add cumin, salt, and cocoa, then slowly add the broth (be careful; it might boil over). Put the pan over high heat, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

2. Stir in the corn and jalapeño peppers; cover and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in scallions and lime juice. Serve warm.

Picture looks like shrimp was added to salad.

My notes: I grilled 2 ears of corn and cut it off to add and I used 2 fairly small jalapenos, seeds and membranes - was just the right heat for us.(8/5/11)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by cjs (Trixxee, this is a g...)
William requested I use the leftover chicken in the Pasta Cobb Salad. I think he'd eat it once a week! LOL! I would have done chicken pot pie, but they don't carry the Pillsbury crust here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by Gourmet_Mom (William requested I ...)
Chicken Parmesan with pasta and a side of asparagus.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by losblanos1 (Chicken Parmesan wit...)
We FINALLY tried the Caramel Pork Stir-fry from C@H #88. It was terrific! A definite keeper. The only change I'd make would be to double the sauce. My pork didn't leave many dripping so I had to add water to the skillet to deglaze the pan. I think I de-fat my pulled pork more than they expected....
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by karyn (We FINALLY tried the...)
Well, talked Sharon and Bob into eating like retired folk and we just finished up main meal -

Grilled b. sugar & tarragon salmon
grilled Hawaiian beef strips (or flanken)
Doctored Bush's Baked beans
Green salad
and the best of the day - cheesy bread.

working with what is in my pantry/fridge -
1 tube of Pillsbury Crispy French loaf
layered with -
softened cream cheese
red pepper flakes
cheddar cheese
papper jack

[Image: CheesyBreadJune19.jpg]

I could have made a meal of just the bread!!!

And later, we'll have a 'snack' of smoked shrimp, smoked trout, blue mesa tortillas, and.........................
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by cjs (Well, talked Sharon ...)
What an amazing meal . . . and that bread!!! I'm so stuffed! Good thing I got the tortilla dough made and the shrimp smoked this am. Lots and lots of goodies to to go!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for dinner, Tues, 6/19?? by Harborwitch (What an amazing meal...)
Chicken parmesan with angel hair pasta. Cuisine at Home, April 2003. This is so delicious.

[Image: Chickenparmesan1.jpg]